HomeArts & CultureChanging our Little Blue Dot

Changing our Little Blue Dot

Jenn Grant and David Suzuki took to the Rebecca Cohn to tackle Canada’s environmental rights

The world's most recognizable environmentalist spoke at the Rebecca Cohn last weekend,
The world’s most recognizable environmentalist spoke at the Rebecca Cohn last weekend.

David Suzuki is on the road again. This time it’s a crosscountry trip to 20 Canadian cities to promote the Blue Dot Tour. Joining him along the way are local musicians and performers, such as Halifax-based Jenn Grant. The tour made a stop in Halifax at the Rebecca Cohn Auditorium on Sept. 27.

The Blue Dot Tour hopes to raise awareness over issues of breathable air, drinking water and healthy food. Over 110 countries have enshrined access to healthy environments as a right of their citizens by law. Canada is not one of these, but the Blue Dot Tour is hoping to change that. They are pushing for environmental rights to be protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Jenn Grant says that clean air, healthy food, and clean water “are fundamental things everyone needs and I’m happy to be a part of that helping spread the word.” The Blue Dot Tour is rallying citizens to support an amendment to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, something that has only happened twice since 1982.

To alter the Charter, seven out of 10 provinces must agree to the amendment. Of those seven provinces, their population combined must be at least 50 per cent of the country. Grant credits the use of social media with promoting information about the Blue Dot Tour.

“I’ve been trying to spread the word through my social media campaigns and stuff and I’ve noticed that my friends have been sharing links and videos I’ve been posting,” says Grant. “So I’ll continue to do that after the tour.” Social media is playing a large role in social movements like the Blue Dot Tour. To Grant, the Blue Dot Tour is about bringing an awareness to people in Canada.

“We really need to stand up for our rights as citizens of the country and the world,” says Grant, “and to get the government to take notice about the environment.”