HomeArts & CultureColford's Hector Tomas is gripping

Colford’s Hector Tomas is gripping

Ian Colford is a Dal librarian (Photo supplied)

Ian Colford’s novel The Crimes of Hector Tomas is a powerful read. It poses questions about freedom, injustice, betrayal, paranoia and whether ends justify means.

Hector is one of seven children in a South American family. His father Enrique Tomas is a quiet, distant man who is interested in how people make choices. Growing up, Hector and his siblings are aware of the constant presence of the paramilitary government watching for any signs of civil unrest. His older brother Carlos becomes involved with an underground movement and is taken away by the police. All the Tomas family can do is to go on as if life were normal.

Hector and his friend Nadia discover a shocking secret about his father, who is hiding a double-life from everyone. Shortly afterwards, he is banished from the family home to his aunt and uncle’s house in the country. Upon arriving, he is forced to work as an unpaid labourer. Later, he is interrogated and beaten by the authorities for suspected terrorism, but he continues to strive for freedom. Meanwhile, Nadia, a Polish immigrant, endures hostility and prejudice for being a foreigner as she wrestles with her feelings for Hector. As they fight to be reunited, Hector and Nadia are forced to make decisions they never dreamed of.

Colford, the collection development librarian for Dalhousie Libraries, has written a story vivid in the portrayal of oppression. There are strong scenes of sexuality and violence, but they do not overshadow Hector’s character arc. The relationship between Hector and Nadia is interesting, and follows their growth from childhood schoolmates to adult lovers. Enrique is a most enigmatic, difficult character, because his origins and motives are teased out over the course of the novel. It’s easy to recognize a character type, but it is complex to understand why he or she acts that way.

While the themes of paranoia and fear are familiar, Colford manages to get inside Hector’s mind as the plot unfolds. The context is never revealed, making it universal. The themes of injustice, power, deception and totalitarianism could easily represent any South American dictatorial regime in history such as Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil and Ecuador.

The Crimes of Hector Tomas does not provide easy answers for human behaviour. Those questions are left to the reader.