HomeArts & CultureIt starts with ‘p’ and ends in ‘ography’

It starts with ‘p’ and ends in ‘ography’

that three-letter wordYour friends watch it. Your brother watches it. Your sister probably watches it, too. That bro who sits in front of you in lecture? He definitely watches it. No, I’m not talking about Duck Dynasty (those beards are mystifying, though). Nope.  I’m talking about porn.

The first thing I have to say about the butts and boobs on your computer screen is this: they are for everyone. So you’re a super-straight-macho-guy, but you like what’s to be found in the “female friendly” category? Awesome. You’re a woman who loves having sex with her girlfriend, but you find erections titillating? Cool. What turns you on is totally subjective, and it doesn’t always make sense. It’s easier to just embrace this from the get-go.

Now, porn is a bit of a touchy subject. Some people will say that porn is degrading to those who feature in it. And sure, some of it probably is—but most mainstream porn isn’t. Consenting adults are consenting adults. It all comes down to what you choose to click on. If you think something might offend your senses, the solution is simple—don’t click!

A stance I’ve encountered frequently enough during my “research” (i.e. browsing internet forums) is the equation that watching porn is some form of cheating.  Even in the context of a committed relationship, porn isn’t bad by default. The general consensus is that there’s no need to be worried unless your consumption negatively impacts your sex life.

Yep. You read that right. Porn could actually help you have more sex. You’ll read all over the web that “men are visual creatures,” but I’m here to tell you that people are visual creatures. Porn can turn almost anyone on—it just needs to be the right kind.

And for those who tend to get a little jealous—relax. Doesn’t it make sense that watching other people do it will make your partner want to do…well, you? Win-win.

Joelline Girouard
Joelline Girouard
Joelline was an Online Editor and the Copy Editor for Volume 146 of the Gazette. She was an Assistant Online Editor for Volume 145.