HomeArts & CultureLet’s get it on: Top six songs to bang to

Let’s get it on: Top six songs to bang to

By Dalhousie Gazette Staff

Have you ever reached across the bed to your stereo to throw on some music for love making with that special someone, only to discover a Puddle of Mudd album? Probably not, because if you listen to that band, chances are you’re a virgin. However, most of us have been in that predicament, grasping out for a sought-after Duke Ellington collection but coming up short.
Here’s The Gazette’s song guide to getting your freak on with. For those quick on the draw, the top two shall suffice.

1. “Love and Happiness” – Al Green
Oh, the smooth sounds of Reverend Al Green. Before he became a man under god, he was a man under fierce booty. In his soulful R&B hit Love and Happiness he analyzes the meaning of love and happiness over top of funky keys and groovy guitars. The stand out line of the song? “Happiness is when you feel real good with somebody,” especially when you are naked with that somebody.

2. “Get to Know Ya” – Maxwell
Any song Maxwell touches is sure to delight when it comes to time in the bedroom. Pulsating funk beats, operatic soul inflected vocals; Maxwell is one of the most underrated singers of our time. Although it’s a more romantic song about getting to know a woman, you can be sure Maxwell would prefer to get in her pants.

3. Any track by Prince
Although the Purple Rain soundtrack is an oddity in the music world, it’s hard to deny its groovy nature. Prince’s distinctive voice also influenced the next singer on this list. And come on: when you hear the line “Let’s go crazy, let’s get nuts,” it is hard not to imagine the words “bust some” thrown in there.

4. “Prototype” – Outkast
Are you interested in doing some of that down and dirty, brand new relationship sex? The kind where everything goes slow and soft because you aren’t ready to go at it like monkeys in a caged zoo? It’s hard not to get in the mood when Andre Benjamin sings “I think I’m in love again” next to the sounds of a bass thump similar to Bootsy Collins. Andre Benjamin is the go-to person for people who find Prince a little too freaky.

5. “In a Sentimental Mood” – Duke Ellington and John Coltrane
No lyrics are needed to get the mood set with this 1962 jazz classic. With the repetition of Duke Ellington’s soft and inviting piano playing, your body gets heated up right as John Coltrane’s beautiful sax drifts you into a land of sensual delights. It may as well be called foreplay. Sadly, Boston created a song with that very name years later; nothing is un-sexier than the music of Boston. “In a Sentimental Mood” even has a time shift for all those lovers out there who don’t want to be slow and soft for every second of sex.

6. “Sex Planet” – R. Kelly
Nothing turns a couple on more than R. Kelly. He has the beautiful timbre that could rival Marvin Gaye, but with none of the focus on community or enriching humanity. R. Kelly fully thinks with his boner. He is also a devout Christian, which entirely contradicts this highly sexualized song. “Sex Planet”, off of his 2007 album Double Up, is an intergalactic bang song in which he flies with a young honey throughout the galaxy while having sex. The desired location is the sex planet. In reality, isn’t that what all couples are looking for – our own sex planet? The answer is yes.