HomeArts & CultureThank you for caring

Thank you for caring

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and serves as an important reminder to reflect on all of the blessings in our lives.

Student life can be stressful. Sometimes, it’s hard to think of all the wonderful things that surround us when we’re stressed about that midterm, trying to meet that deadline, or in a mental health slump.

I’ve been reflecting on all of the incredible people I have in my life – from family to friends, to professors and mentors, and fellow advocates and creators.

What I am especially thankful for this fall is the people in my life who support me through the good times and the bad. When the semester is in full-swing, I start forgetting to take care of myself; I fall back into negative habits and coping mechanisms. I’m so grateful to my friends who know me well – who notice when I’m not treating myself kindly, and who remind me to take a step back.

I’m grateful for friends who see when I am struggling, offer to make supper with me and sit down to catch up.

To the friends who make me my favourite foods when I feel too stressed to eat, or who snack with me throughout the day – to the friends who hold my hands when I have panic attacks, who listen to my rants and encourage me in pursuing my creative degree: thank you.

To my friends who remind me that I’m worthy, loved, and doing just fine: thank you.

To the people who see when I’m sad, blast an ABBA song and dance around the room with me: thank you.

This Thanksgiving season, remember that no matter what you have going on, there is always something to be grateful for. And, hey – maybe tell someone you care about, that you appreciate them. A little appreciation goes a long way.

Checking in with your friends is a simple way to show you care.