HomeArts & CultureTunes Review: Daniel Romano–Sleep Beneath the Willow

Tunes Review: Daniel Romano–Sleep Beneath the Willow

Grade: A+++ 

Sagar Jha, Staff Contributor

Daniel Romano has just finished crafting a musical masterpiece in which he produced, engineered and performed 11 captivating tracks.

Romano’s sound fuses a timeless singer-songwriter sound with a nostalgic, AM radio country sound. Romano—who has experience working with artists such as City and Colour—is an emerging musician who has managed to harness his talent into a unique and dynamic style.

Maybe you’ve recently had your heart stepped on, or maybe you’re thinking of traveling to the middle of the great Canadian prairies to endure a harsh winter; either way, you should give this album a shot. The melancholic tone fused with an emphasis on simplistic beauty is incredibly comforting.

The 11-track LP contains several melodic songs telling tales of heartbreak. Some tracks are more uplifting and hopeful, such as “There Are Lines on My Face,” which features haunting back-up vocals, a confident Romano delivering the lead vocals and a guitar solo that sounds like it belongs on a Pink Floyd record. Other tunes are much more sinister and dark. The opening track “Time Forgot to Change My Heart” depicts a deep pain that we’ve all felt. Not many songs can get close to the painful expression of Johnny Cash’s “Hurt,” but this song certainly does.

Romano poured his heart into this record and it is more than clear in the emotional delivery of the lyrics and by the creative use of simple instrumentals with haunting echoes. However, the CD isn’t entirely dark. There are songs of hope, such as “Hard on You,” which features an uplifting chorus despite the despairing lyrics. Not to mention the incredibly funny and upbeat track “Helen’s Restaurant,” which is like a classic joke country song. It uses well-timed psyche-outs that will have you in stitches.

From start to finish this album is well written, well-performed, and perfected. This is a must-own CD.

Sleep Beneath the Willow  hits stores Apr. 5.