HomeArts & CultureWould you like a trench to go with that weather?

Would you like a trench to go with that weather?

Thankfully for us Haligonians, trenches are more in style than ever before.

The trench coat has long been one of the sexiest items of outerwear in existence. From Audrey Hepburn to Emma Watson, it bestows a classy glamour upon the wearer, making a depressing rainy evening in to an opportunity to sing in the rain.

Watch any old movie circa the ’50s or ’60s and you’ll understand the romance associated with the garment, originally created as uniform for officers of the First World War.

This season, they’re back, and back with passion, as Burberry’s sleek new take jumps off the shelves of high-end department stores everywhere.

We here in dear old stormy Halifax actually have an advantage in joining the trench lines—a rainy port city is the coat’s natural habitat.

Ladies, rather than wait for your cab outside in a shrug and mini-dress, hugging your other scantily clad friends for warmth, throw your knee-length trench over your outfit and revel in being the warmest and most sensible person around, without sacrificing style.

And really, don’t be embarrassed to shed your trench and ask for a safe storage place upon your arrival. It’s Halifax. It’s very, very cold sometimes. We really don’t have the luxury to go without a solid jacket.

Of course, the trench isn’t only for evening wear! The versatile coat can easily be transformed into charming day wear with the help of blue jeans, your favourite leather boots and a cute knit beanie.

So where to go to find this delightful multi-use item?

H&M can offer you a belt-tied, brushed-fabric version for $70, and, in a much higher price range, BCBG sells a bevvy of different fashion-forward options, from wide double-breasted at $350, to leopard-print at $524.

American Eagle joins in on the fun with a fur-trimmed trench at the mid-range price of $136.

Still, those first-hand examples could be considered a little expensive, especially for those on a budget. Does this mean no sexy trench for the poor student eating lima beans in her north end apartment?

Never! Many of the best trenches can be found for much less than first-hand retail price at vintage boutiques or bigger second-hand chains such as Frenchy’s or Value Village.

Another good tip: take an expedition to Bayer’s Lake, otherwise known as outlet store heaven. A friend recently scored a trench from Gap’s outlet store, originally tagged at over $100, for only around $80.

With bargains like that, there’s no excuse not to join the trench revolution.