HomeArts & CultureWriting Havoc cultivates fresh voices

Writing Havoc cultivates fresh voices

Arts Logo

Alexandra Kitson conceived of the notion of Writing Havoc after attending the International Vancouver Writers’ Festival. Kitson noticed the fertility of emerging voices in fiction, and she wanted to bring that to Halifax.

“I really wanted more of a writers culture in Halifax,” she says.

After a lecture by political advocate Dave Meslin, Kitson, who studies at Dalhousie, was inspired to take matters into her own hands. She contacted the Sandbox team, an offshoot of the Dal Student Union (DSU) that helps students promote their creative ideas.

“Publishing is taking a big hit right now,” Kitson says. “There isn’t really a place for new writers to emerge. That’s what we wanted to create with Writing Havoc.”

Writing Havoc will cultivate the talent of new and potentially timid writers by giving them a place to nurture their craft, and it will allow them to create dialogue with other student writers. Fostering an appreciation and celebration of local writing and publishing is increasingly important in a world rapidly transposing from print to digital media. Writing Havoc is three days where people can sharpen their wordsmith skates and start gliding.

Writing Havoc (March 7 to 9), will provide three workshops: songwriting, guerrilla publishing and slam poetry. It will also curate a ‘Book Nook’ in the space behind the Loaded Ladle, where free tea and coffee will be served. Students can participate in a book swap or pick up a pen and respond to writing prompts. Words written in the Book Nook will be posted in the Hub on the final night of the festival.

Kitson hopes Writing Havoc will offer an unintimidating and dynamic environment where writers can craft tales and discover Halifax’s creative community.

For more information, search ‘Writing Havoc’ on Facebook, or go here: http://www.facebook.com/events/160823697401951/