HomeArts & CultureYou're not too good for O-Week

You’re not too good for O-Week

This goes out to all the students that think they don’t need orientation week to make their university experience a better one. You know who you are.

You’ve managed to glide through high school with a couple good friends, and even though you and those friends have gone to different universities, you think you’re fine. You don’t need any of that orientation week nonsense. You’ll make friends in one of your classes, and since talking to strangers isn’t really your thing, that all depends on if the person you sit beside starts to talk to you first.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but you’re wrong. I was you once. I did the dutiful thing of paying for orientation week while thinking to myself, “I might go to one or two things.” I was right. I went to one event. I made one friend. I sat with that one friend the entire year. Lame, I know.

Now I’m headed into my fourth year — with some regrets — and I don’t want that to be you. Don’t be the too-cool student, or the shy student or the student that doesn’t care about anything. That was me and it’s gotten me nowhere. Sure, I’ve made a few more friends along the way, but here you are, faced with an incredible opportunity, that you won’t ever have again. Orientation week happens once my friends, and if you miss it now, you miss it forever.

If partying isn’t your thing (which it wasn’t mine) there are ways around that. This week is designed for you to have fun and make new friends so that the next four years of your life will be unforgettable. If you’re living off of campus, which I also did my first year, this week is especially important for you.

The only thing you’ll regret is doing exactly what I did — nothing. So be better than me. Getting involved doesn’t start and end with this week, but if you don’t do it now, it just gets harder and harder., explore Halifax, do something you’ve never done before. Things are changing in your life, and orientation week is the perfect way to kick it all off.