HomeNewsDalhousieSaying goodbye to ramen and KD

Saying goodbye to ramen and KD

(Photo by Patrick Fulgencio)
(Photo by Patrick Fulgencio)

A few dozen Dalhousie students know where the best deals are on campus. These savvy shoppers make their way to the SUB every Wednesday for the DSU Farmers Market.

Market directors believe convenience and cost motivate most students to buy at the student-run market.

Adam Enders, a student at Dal, says the price is a big draw – but there’s more to it.

“It’s more healthy, it’s local, which is great because it keeps money in the province,” Enders says.

Kamie Branch is the market’s Director of Co-ordination. She orders the produce from nearby farms at wholesale prices. The market’s markup is minimal and most staff are volunteers so there are few overhead costs.

DSU Farmer’s Market Atlantic Superstore Flyer
Pumpkin $2.00 $2.99
Leek $3.00 $3.99
Celery $2.00 $2.99
Cauliflower $3.00 $2.50

And while prices are most important, Branch juggles the market’s other goals: keeping produce local and spray-free.

“We’ve always promoted how our prices are cheaper than the grocery store or comparable,” Branch says.

Cheap, ethical and convenient. The market’s location by the front door of the SUB is important.

Camille Brockmann is the Director of Communications and Operations at the market.

“Generally people will choose the easier choice rather than the healthier choice,” she says.

Luckily for students, the market is both easy and healthy.

The directors are working to make buying fresh fruits and veggies even more accessible. This year, they started selling produce packs. These cost 20 dollars and include a variety of produce items. They can even be delivered if students can’t pick them up.

The DSU Farmer’s Market is also partnering with other campus organizations to make sure no leftover produce goes to waste. They sell extras to the Loaded Ladle or donate to the food bank.

Brockmann says these relationships benefit everyone.

“That’s why we’re there, is so that [students] can have fresh fruits and vegetables at prices that they can actually afford.”