HomeNewsDSU President Candidate: Jenn Samson

DSU President Candidate: Jenn Samson

Editor’ Note: This interview has been edited and formatted for style and clarity

Name: Jenn Samson

Major, Year: Third year, Environmental Engineering (Completed BSc, St. Fx)

What position are you running for, and what responsibilites correspond with it?

I am running for DSU President. The duties associated with this position are related to public outreach, working with the university administration and working in coordination with all four VPs and the Board of Governors to make sound decisions on behalf of the student body.

What attracted you to the presidential position specifically? 

I was attracted to this position because it has the potential to affect real change, which is what I aim to do.

Why are you running in this election?

I think that the distance campuses are under-represented in main campus events and programs, which is unfair. Doing this creates a certain amount of tension between campuses; this is counter productive to our success as a university. I hope that by bringing an outside perspective to the table that we can work towards raising each other up to be even better as a community.

What are your goals if you are elected?

I have three main objectives if I am elected.

Firstly, I plan to adapt the co-op program to be better suited to the students who are enrolled in it. This program should be the kick-start to field experience, and for many the experience is frustrating and stressful – I think we can do better.

I would also like to see all campuses being able to offer the same quality of amenities and services to their students. Currently, some campuses have insufficient resources that leave their students at a disadvantage academically, and in terms of health and wellness.

Lastly, I would like to implement an innovation initiative that primarily focuses on green or sustainable projects, with room to expand to other programs. I believe that we should have the option to have our school invest in us the way we have invested our time, energy and money into it. This initiative would allow for funding for student led and organized projects, and foster inspiration in Dal students.

What is something interesting about you?

I have a single engine pilots license! My dream job would be to fly to remote locations throughout Canada to perform site assessments and to use remediation techniques to rehabilitate damaged ecosystems.