HomeNewsElection Bio: Andrew Sykes

Election Bio: Andrew Sykes

Running for: VP (student life)

Name: Andrew Sykes

Age: 21

Program: Third-year computer science

Hometown: Dartmouth, NS

Interesting fact: Had his picture taken with the Backstreet Boys

Andrew Sykes has spent the past three years working in the Dalhousie Student Union’s technical services department, where he has worked on every event to pass through the SUB. He says that the experience gained would be invaluable in the position of VP (student life).

“Not only do I see the challenges that face the student union, but I see the challenges that these other groups come and face,” he says.

Sykes runs and owns a production company and event planning business in his personal life. He says he has the type of professional experience that would aid him on the DSU.

He says that one of his main priorities is to ensure that groups who feel underrepresented are getting the value for the dollars that they’re spending on their student fees, citing international students as an example.

“They used to always have international nights in the Grawood, and that’s gone away,” he says.

“I want to get them to think of the student union as the place to come and get this programming.”

Sykes says that his experience makes him the best candidate for the job. He says he refuses to make promises that he can’t keep.

“I’m going to deliver on what I say and make sure it can be done before it’s promised.”

Ethan Calof
Ethan Calof
Ethan was Online Editor of the Gazette for Volume 145.