HomeNewsAtlantic“No Fracking Way,” says Halifax

“No Fracking Way,” says Halifax

Frack off! Photo by Dan Corbett

Halifax’s Parade Square was once again occupied on Jan. 14. The protest against the expansion of hydraulic fracturing in Nova Scotia drew concerned citizens from as far away as Cape Breton and New Brunswick. Though somewhat subdued by the snow and freezing rain, over 100 people turned out for ‘No Fracking Way,’ an event spearheaded by Occupy Nova Scotia.

Focusing on a specific issue is a change for Occupy Nova Scotia, as it reflects a more structured approach. According to Eric Mandelker, organizer of the protest, “Occupy Nova Scotia still holds to its core ideology: [to pursue the] resolution of gross economic inequalities, governmental corruption and environmental degradation.”

Hydraulic fracturing, or ‘fracking,’ is a method of drilling for shale gas accomplished by the injection of pressured water and chemicals into deep wells. This process literally cracks the rock, allowing for the extraction of natural gas or oil.

As technologies improve and the rising price of fossil fuels makes the endeavour more lucrative, growth in the use of fracking has been exponential. Touted benefits are largely economic, and include job creation, increased domestic production of fossil fuels, as well as reductions in the price of natural gas.

But peer-reviewed research has found fracking to be a significant source of air and water contamination. Fracking also causes earthquakes of magnitudes up to 5.5, and has been implicated in the poisoning of drinking water. Despite this, some government reviews in the U.S. and Canada have found the risks of contamination to be negligible. Though environmental assessments and further research is ongoing, concern about the technique is rising rapidly.

Though Occupy Nova Scotia took the lead, the Jan. 14 protest was just the latest in a series of actions by the Nova Scotia Fracking Resource and Action Coalition (NOFRAC). The protest followed a conference in December, and future events are planned as well.

Anti-fracking protesters gather in Halifax. | Photo by Dan Corbett

The fracking debate has been heating up in both Canada and globally, as opponents of the technique gain momentum.  A moratorium on fracking has been put in place in Quebec, and internationally in parts of the United States, France, Australia and South Africa.

As ‘frack off’ signs were hoisted Saturday, speakers gave accounts of how fracking impacts their lives. In line with Occupy Nova Scotia ideologies, the protest’s purpose was to show solidarity with the rural communities who are directly affected. Many of the speakers urgently demanded a moratorium for the province on behalf of their supporting organizations, including the Environmental Health Association of Nova Scotia and the Council of Canadians.

In the Occupy spirit, the supportive crowd remained light-hearted, dancing to comedic folk music by Cape Breton musicians who had travelled to Halifax specifically for the event.

Similar to Occupy Nova Scotia, opposition to fracking has become a tenet of New York’s Occupy movement. In both Nova Scotia and New York, the technique is currently under review by regulators. In both jurisdictions, leading experts have called for a moratorium on fracking pending further study.

Spearheading causes such as this one seems to be a likely future direction for Occupy Nova Scotia as the movement rapidly gains focus. Mandelker said “Occupy NS does not have a set list of priorities or goals, but we feel if there is a segment of the population that is being marginalized, dismissed, threatened, or in jeopardy from the actions of the state or corporations, we will help amplify their voices and their struggle.”

Saturday’s anti-fracking event is only the first of many Occupy Nova Scotia-organized protests to come.