HomeNewsStudents rally for trans rights on campus

Students rally for trans rights on campus

Transgender students and allies ask the Dalhousie community to “unlearn transphobia”

Participants in the rally for trans rights hold signs in front of Dal's Student Union Building. (Photo by Natasha MacDonald-Dupuis)
Participants in the rally for transgender rights hold signs in front of Dal’s Student Union Building. (Photo by Natasha MacDonald-Dupuis)

Transgender students and their allies held a visibility rally outsideĀ Dalhousie’sĀ Student Union Building on Monday for the second consecutive year.

Participants held signs and transgender flags in efforts to raise awareness for transgender rights andĀ demand better and safer trans resources on campus.

Trans activists distributed flyers and buttons to passersby, and recruited volunteers for the new TransĀ Students Issues Committee.

The three-hour-long demonstration was organised by trans student Jessica Dempsey, who is awaiting aĀ ruling from the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission after filing a complaint last yearĀ against Aramark, Dalā€™s food services supplier.

Dempsey also filed a human rights complaint against Dalhousie, alleging professors refused toĀ call her by her preferred name and repeatedly outed her in class.

The former management student saysĀ that some improvements have been made in the last year toĀ improve transgender rights on campus, but progress is slow.

“This morning, my preferred name was put on my medical file at Dal Dental. Thatā€™s huge. Theyā€™re theĀ first to have done that. Now why canā€™t the university do the same?” saysĀ Dempsey.

Approximately 25 people attended the rally, with participants coming and going as the eventĀ progressed.

A trans participant, who wishes to remain anonymous for security reasons, was not content with the modestĀ attendance.

“Today could have had a better turnout. I feel like thereā€™s an issue with trans allies. I donā€™t think cisĀ allies are there for trans people on campus … they donā€™t actually show up or talk about the issues,” says the participant.

According to a study published in the Journal of Gay & Lesbian Issues in Education, transgender and gender non-conformingĀ students are one of the most underserved populations on college campuses.

They also face disproportionate ratesĀ of violence, suicide, poverty and discrimination.