HomeNewsHalifaxWhy was Halifax’s town crier search unsuccessful?

Why was Halifax’s town crier search unsuccessful?

To best come to an understanding of developments in respect to Halifax Regional Municipality and their decision relating to the position of Halifax Town Crier, it is perhaps best to review the process that led to this decision.

Following the death of Peter Cox, who served as Halifax Town Crier for 35 years, the Nova Scotia Guild of Town Criers (NSGTC) approached HRM and lobbied for a tribute to honor the memory of the Halifax Town Crier.

In June 2009, an Information Report was provided to Mayor Peter Kelly and Members of Halifax Regional Council by Sharon Bond, at the time Acting Director of Community Development. This report dealt with succession planning for a Town Crier to replace the late Peter Cox: a town crier competition to coincide with the 2009 Tall Ship Celebration, thus insuring a new town crier for Halifax would be in place for the 2009 Natal Day celebrations.

Since 2009, the Nova Scotia Guild of Town Criers have lobbied the Halifax Regional Municipality for the appointment of a crier to fill the void left by the passing of Cox and a tribute to his memory.

This process began with NSGTC Chair Jerry Randall, town crier of Amherst, followed by Randall’s successor Peter Davies, town crier of Annapolis Royal and most recently the current Guild Executive made up Chair, James Stewart of New Glasgow, Vice Chair – Davies, Secretary – Gary Long of Berwick and Treasurer –Lloyd Smith of the Annapolis Valley.

Over the past year, meetings have taken place between the NSGTC and HRM and a decision was made to hold a town crier competition. The winner would then become the town crier for the Halifax area previously serviced by the late Peter Cox.

Although the NSGTC would be involved in the organizing and judging process the promotion and publicity for the competition scheduled for June 4, 2015 fell to HRM staff.

It was, and remains the opinion of the Nova Scotia Guild of Town Criers, that there was little or no effort by HRM to promote the recruitment of potential candidates for the vacant position.

There was no coverage in the Herald, the Metro or The Coast. There was no mention on CBC, CTV or Global and no coverage on CBC Radio. There was, however, an RFP included in an ad for services placed in the Business section of the Herald and coverage on the HRM Facebook and Twitter sites.

No potential candidates expressed interest or came forward and the competition did not take place, thus the position left vacant by the death of Peter Cox six years ago remains unfilled.

A recent story in The Coast titled “No One Wants To Be Halifax Town Crier” outlines HRM’s decision to cease to actively search for a town crier for Halifax/Downtown and to work with the existing three criers in HRM and the NS Guild of Town Criers to ensure that any events that require a town crier will have access to one.

It should be noted that there was no consultation with the NSGTC in respect to this decision, and as recently as mid-September, NS Guild Chairman James Stewart was in contact with HRM Councilor Waye Mason about the appointment of a town crier for the downtown area as per the instructions of HRM staff member Paul Forrest.

It should also be noted that since the publication of the article, the NSGTC have been contacted and have received expressions of interest from individuals in respect to the vacant position as they were unaware the position was still vacant.

The following is a quote from Daniel Richer Dit Lafleche, town crier of the Capitol Region of Ottawa / Gatineau:

“It is sad that crier Peter Cox’s memory is to be forgotten so easily by city council and the population of Halifax. Peter took his job of Ambassador so seriously that his entire life was devoted to the task of promoting your community whether he was paid or not. He was also responsible for the renewed interest in Town Criers not only in Canada but also in the US. The fact that you have no plaque on monument to commemorate his great devotion to you is sad but to abandon the search of finding a new crier for Halifax is to erase his memory and passion and that my friends is shameful.”