HomeCheer for your Tigers
Array

Cheer for your Tigers

Men's hockey, Feb. 3. Photo by Martina Marien
Dalhousie is the home to some of the best university sports in Atlantic Canada. Photo by Martina Marien

Before I was a journalist, I was a sports fan.

That’s one reason I started contributing to the sports section at the Gazette. It was my passion for writing and sports, along with a concussion I sustained while playing rugby, which eventually led me to the editor’s chair.

Like all of Dalhousie’s varsity and club athletes, I am eagerly awaiting the upcoming season. Some teams are looking to build on last year’s successes, including women’s soccer, women’s volleyball and the swimming and track teams. Other teams, like men’s and women’s hockey, are ready to start a new chapter in their history and, in concerns to the women’s team, put last year’s hazing incident far behind them.

As students, we have the luxury of not only seeing our Tigers play frequently at the Dalplex, Wickwire Field and more, but have a chance to get to know the student-athletes on the teams. If you see someone wearing Tigers athletic gear in class or on campus, wish him or her luck and ask when his or her next game is.

You have the chance to see some high-quality athletic competition for absolutely free, so grab some friends and cheer on your fellow students.

Don’t worry, there will be plenty of seats available at the games.

Benjamin Blum
Benjamin Blum
A lifelong sports fan, Benjamin Blum entered the world of journalism after suffering a concussion playing rugby for the University of King’s College. From that moment, his twin passions for writing and sports motivated the Thornhill, Ont. native to give this journalism thing a try. Having been an athlete, coach and fan for many years, Ben brings his diverse knowledge of sports along with a witty sense of humour to the sports section. Ben was Sports Editor of the Gazette for Volume 146.