HomeOpinionsPost-elections review

Post-elections review

What went right, what went horribly wrong, and what to look forward to in future elections. (Adele van Wyk photo)

It would be tough to find a Haligonian who didn’t have an issue with the state of our roads or our transit system, but only 37 per cent of us took the few minutes required on voting day to change them. For the first time in 12 years Peter Kelly didn’t run for mayor. Our regional council was restructured, from 23 members to 16, which resulted in several races between sitting councillors. With six mayoral challengers and over 20 vying for the four seats in peninsular Halifax and downtown Dartmouth, it’s surprising that voter turnout didn’t improve. Despite that, there were some surprising outcomes stemming from this year’s election.

The first notable change was the city’s decision to allow current adult residents of Halifax who had resided in the city for at least three months prior to the election to vote (independent of their parent’s district). This meant that students who had returned from a summer away were finally able to participate in elections. While this change was openly embraced by the student unions and several candidates, early voter registration ended in August, several weeks before students returned from the lucrative job markets outside the city. In the fall, a single day was devoted to on- campus registration. Finally, polling stations were not located on campus as they are for provincial and federal elections. Without an arguably inspiring mayoral candidate, many opted to avoid the rainy trek on election day and stay at home.

Next was the abject failure of Chief Returning Officer Cathy Mellet to report results in a timely manner. She admitted to underestimating the resources required to enter data, a process which has been unchanged for decades. This particular component is not affected by turnout: each poll must make one phone call to report its results. Results came in hours after polls closed, and one race was so poorly tabulated that the wrong winner was declared. The delays in reporting district seven’s results meant that after two hours of waiting, Waye Mason’s and Sue Uteck’s campaign managers agreed that Waye had won. Until at least four hours after polls closed the official results showed Gerry Walsh in the lead; eventually the results showed he had come in third.

Mason—a Dalhousie alumnus, Saint Mary’s University student, Nova Scotia Community College music instructor, and former Pop Explosion director—ran an interesting candidacy. In the interest of disclosure, I worked on his campaign. He was not widely known outside of music circles, except by those who enjoy his keenly analytical blog, halifaxpolitics.ca. He was up against Uteck, a 14-year incumbent, and Gerry Walsh, a well-known local Liberal. Mason’s determination in knocking on every single door in the district, clear policies and promises, and forthright personality surely helped propel him in the polls, and his strong social media presence likely pushed him over the top in the close race. Based on Mason’s win, could other political underdogs have a chance in Halifax?

Waye had several things going for him. As a college instructor he had the summer off to campaign. The actions of the previous council established a growing anti-incumbent sentiment. Finally, the bizarre social media presence of the Dawg Father PHD surely sent some voters back to Mason. With most other challengers unable to oust the incumbents, it’s hard to imagine the success of someone outside of Mason’s unique situation.

Despite the process issues, the 2012 Halifax election is certainly cause for celebration. A new mayor, a more efficient council, and an increase in the engagement of the voting public will surely mean a more productive era. With buildings going up as quickly as cranes can be found, this council will decide the future skyline of Halifax. It’s time to put the scandal- plagued era of Peter Kelly behind us, and follow his advice to continue “looking forward.”