HomeOpinionsLack of student voters does not signify student apathy

Lack of student voters does not signify student apathy

(photo by Kit Morgan)
(Photo by Kit Moran)

Dear Dr. Florizone,

Please let me preface my letter with a quote from Edmund Burke, which has only proven itself more with time: “It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare.”

In the last Dalhousie Student Union election, we had 16.35 per cent voter turnout. Our campus is greatly defended by a small electorate and they’re often referred to as the insiders. My fear, for you, is taking their concerns and opinions as the end-all. I am one of those students who votes and who participates in society events, but I see thousands of students who walk by every day and just go to school. Please, keep these students in mind.

They won’t complain as much. Few of them will be pushed to write a letter to you here and now. But before you make a decision that will affect the student body, remember that our body is diverse and that most of it won’t come to you with input. You have to go to them. And when they don’t seem to have much to say, don’t take that as apathy. Take it as the challenge it is: to improve how our campus communicates and open the channels that have long been welded shut by lacklustre student politicians, administrators and people of presumed power.

I wish you all the best of luck in this endeavour, and I know I haven’t given you much for guidance. I’m excited to see what you do with it.

Sincerely,

Kristie Smith

Claire Wählen
Claire Wählen
Claire was News Editor of the Gazette for Volume 146. You can follow her on Twitter at @Claire_Wahlen.