HomeOpinionsDalhousieNSPIRG makes getting involved easy

NSPIRG makes getting involved easy

Sébastien Labelle, Opinions contributor

Challenging the notion that university students are apathetic, or don’t care beyond the beer bottle, The Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group (NSPIRG) empowers, educates, and inspires students to take action on issues that concern them on and off campus. Workshops, research funding, rallies, community support, alternative library, gardening – NSPIRG organizes many events to get involved and connected.

Students do indeed care. The desire to take on issues of justice and environmental stewardship has been steadily growing in recent years. Food production and service monopoly on campus are some issues that have prompted students to work towards together during recent years.

This year, NSPIRG’s Campus Action on Food (CAF) group is initiating the Edible Campus project, where students and community members are reconnecting with the source of their food by working in new contained gardens around campus. Beyond education, the food produced in these gardens is served free on campus.

NSPIRG’s SeeMore Green collective garden has also been growing strong, drawing students throughout the summer to free workshops on topics covering composting, herbalism, seed bombing and plant care.

Off campus, migrant issues are a growing concern in Halifax. Reacting to the current government’s increasingly hostile policies toward migrants in Canada (the number of approved asylum claims, for example, has dropped by an alarming 56 per cent since the current government took power), NSPIRG’s No One Is Illegal campaign provides resources for students to defend the rights of migrants and offer support to struggling local families who lack status.

In partnership with student groups at Dal, King’s and NSCAD, NSPIRG is starting this school year with a full calendar of events and workshops. An alternative orientation series called ALT 101 will complement existing frosh week activities, presenting a more inclusive gateway to the diversity of Halifax.

By collaborating with grassroots partners on and off Halifax’s campuses, ALT 101 organizers hope to establish bridges between multiple student bodies and the community in which they are embedded – something they consider to be lacking in typical orientation programs. ALT 101 aims to empower students by giving them opportunities to meet new people, skill-build, and engage with the community.

Now in its fifth year, ALT 101 events include: Media skills workshops offered by CKDU and the Halifax Media Co-op, a Know Your Rights workshop offered by the Social Activist Law Student Association (SALSA), a tour of Halifax’s sustainable businesses with the King’s Alternative Food Cooperative Association (KAFCA), a Harvest Party at the SeeMore Green collective garden, a panel discussion on tuition freeze offered by the Canadian Federation of Students, a welcome BBQ with DalOUT, a movie screening with Free Reels, a presentation of NSPIRG’s new Study In Action program, and a live concert with Toronto-based soul-tech band LAL.

For further details and a full calendar of events, visit www.nspirg.org.

Sébastien Labelle is an NSPIRG Board Member.