HomeSportsBeing a sports fan in Halifax

Being a sports fan in Halifax

Bubba rays

Choosing local, sustainable options isn’t just for hipsters anymore. Sports fans in the HRM are getting in on the trend, too.

There’s no better way to aid local business than by supporting one of Halifax’s minor league teams. If you want high-quality hockey for a good price, head down to the Halifax Metro Centre to cheer on the reigning Memorial Cup champion Mooseheads. Even when the arena is filled to the rafters, there are always seats available right before the puck drops. For all you basketball fans looking for a fun afternoon, the Metro Centre is also home to the NBL Canada’s Halifax Rainmen.

If you’re still yearning for pro sports, you have several options. Bubba Ray’s (5650 Spring Garden Road) offers wall-to-wall screens, a diverse menu and an entire section dedicated to Cole Harbour’s own Sidney Crosby. If it’s too crowded, just cross the street and enter Oasis, another perfect venue for the big game. For the footy fan, there are places like Maxwell’s Plum (1600 Grafton Street) that offer beer and breakfast with your Saturday morning match.

To the fiscally conscious fan, you can still have a great time and stay on budget. Just make sure to befriend someone with a comfy couch and nice TV and you’re set for the year.

Benjamin Blum
Benjamin Blum
A lifelong sports fan, Benjamin Blum entered the world of journalism after suffering a concussion playing rugby for the University of King’s College. From that moment, his twin passions for writing and sports motivated the Thornhill, Ont. native to give this journalism thing a try. Having been an athlete, coach and fan for many years, Ben brings his diverse knowledge of sports along with a witty sense of humour to the sports section. Ben was Sports Editor of the Gazette for Volume 146.