HomeSportsHockeyLast-minute goal sinks Tigers

Last-minute goal sinks Tigers

Acadia’s Jacob Dietrich tries to jam the puck under Tigers goalie Bobby Nadeau. Photo by Martina Marien

Men’s hockey ends preseason with 1-5 record

The Tigers men’s hockey team was close to earning their first win of the exhibition schedule last Wednesday at Memorial Arena, but Acadia had other plans. Liam Heelis’ last-minute goal on the power play gave the Axemen a 5 – 4 victory.

“It was kind of back and forth,” said Dal forward Trevor Mackenzie, who had two goals in the game. “We had a couple of chances we could have buried, and they ended up scoring on most of their power plays. In the end, they just got a couple of lucky bounces.”

Despite the loss, Dal played a complete game and was able to find their scoring touch, an element the team has struggled with in previous contests, losing their three previous matches by a combined 21 – 3.

Although the Tigers fell in their opening four matches, they would bounce back, closing the preseason with two road victories this past weekend.

The Axemen jumped on a 1 – 0 lead early in the game thanks to a goal by Andrew Clark. A second effort by Mackenzie tied the contest. The forward had an Acadia defender on his tail, but, although Mackenzie fell, he still managed to get a shot away, slipping the puck past the netminder.

Mackenzie’s hard slapshot from the point was his second goal of the night, giving the Tigers a 2 – 1 lead. With under 30 seconds left in the frantic first period, Acadia tied the game on the power-play after a scramble in front of Dal’s net. Dustin Ekelman was standing in the right place at the right time shooting the puck high glove side into an open net.

Dal gave up five power play opportunities in the game with Acadia scoring on three of them.

The second period was the best hockey the Tigers had showcased through their initial four games, working as a team to create scoring chances but only having a goal to show for it.

“I think we just worked hard that period, kept things simple,” said Mackenzie. “We are able to get pucks out of our own end and work on our forecheck, really putting pressure on the opposing defence and looking for loose pucks.”

Acadia meanwhile deflated Dal’s momentum early in the third, notching the game at three just 1:55 in. Ekelman’s second goal was also on the power play,which gave Acadia a 4 – 3 edge. The lead didn’t last long as the Tigers tied it at four. The game did not enter overtime as Acadia scored on the ensuing power-play in the final minute of regulation time.

The puck drops on the regular season Friday, Oct. 14 at 7 p.m. when St. Thomas comes to town. Dal has set their sights on a playoff berth once again; last spring was their first qualification in seven years.

Arfa Ayub, Staff Contributor
Arfa Ayub, Staff Contributor
Originally from Lahore, Pakistan, Arfa moved to Canada at the age of nine. She spent a year in Toronto before moving to Halifax. In the East Coast, not sure how (must be a Canadian thing!), but she began to watch and love hockey. Arfa started writing for the Gazette in her last year of high school as part of a cooperative education internship. Once she graduated, she came to Dal to study Political Science. Aside from continuing to write for the paper, Arfa completed an internship with Global Maritimes.