HomeSportsBasketballMen’s Basketball defeats Huskies in AUS final rematch

Men’s Basketball defeats Huskies in AUS final rematch

Playing in the 37th annual StFX X-Men Basketball Pizza Delight Invitational tournament on Oct. 16-17, the defending AUS Champ Tigers picked up another two preseason wins, bumping their record to 5-1 in exhibition.

The biggest win of the preseason came in a rematch of the AUS championship game against the Saint Mary’s University Huskies on Friday, Oct. 16, where the Huskies won 102-100. This game was eerily similar to the big one last season, as the Tigers found themselves down by 12 points in the fourth quarter but were able to claw their way back to force OT at 88-88 before going on to the win.

Cedric Sanago led the way for the Tigers with 21 pts, followed by Kevin Duong with 20 pts, Jordan Aquino-Serjue came off the bench with 18 pts and Sven Stammberger had 17 pts.

The Tigers played in the final of the tournament on Saturday, Oct. 17, against MSVU and cruised to a 93-66 victory. Cedric Sanago led the way for the Tigers again with 17 pts while Alex Petronis chipped in with 16 pts off the bench.

Up next for the Tigers is their final preseason tune-up tournament at the Universite de Laval where they will face Algoma on Friday, Oct. 23, Thetford Prep on Saturday, Oct. 24 and the University of Toronto on Sunday, Oct. 25.

The regular season starts on Friday, Nov. 6 at the Dalplex as the Tigers begin to try and defend their AUS crown against the UNB Varsity Reds.