HomeSportsNavigating the campus gym

Navigating the campus gym

Using Gym stock photo
Stock photo: http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/

How to use your DalCard beyond the cafeteria.

Well, frosh, you may have heard of a little place buried at the southern end of campus known as the Dalplex. It just so happens to be the largest indoor athletics facility in the city, and has plenty to offer anyone who wants to be active. And, believe it or not, you’re already a member.

If you’re a full time Dal student, you have membership status at the Dalplex as soon as you first hold your DalCard. This provides students with free access to most activities on the gym’s roster, and discounts on other programs and classes.

The Dalplex, open seven days a week, has over 100,000 ft. of space to contain its 50-metre, 8-lane swimming pool; two weight rooms; hardwood basketball courts and running track. Plus, you can try many sports at the field house, including racquet-friendly pastimes, such as badminton, tennis, squash, racquetball and table tennis.

A Dalplex membership gets you in to other facilities too, such as the swimming pool, Memorial Arena for hockey and skating purposes, Wickwire Field, Studley Gymnasium and the bouldering wall.

Not only can you use many of the facilities at the Dalplex, but there are a number of inexpensive courses available to members. This includes instruction in fencing, kickboxing, yoga, Pilates and even bartending.

All in all, the Dalplex facilities are another awesome benefit that came with your decision to attend Dalhousie. You should definitely pop in—after all, your student fees are paying for it.