HomeSportsPicking up where they left off

Picking up where they left off

Dal lacrosse continues to impress in opening weekend of play

gazette_missingphoto

Dalhousie’s lacrosse team continued their familiar winning ways in their opening weekend of playing, beating the Saint Mary’s Huskies 18-10, followed by a dominating 21-3 victory over the Mount Allison Mounties.

The Tigers, who have won three straight Maritime University Field Lacrosse championships and five in the past six years, got off to a slow start against the Huskies, entering the second quarter down by three.

They picked things up in the second, however, with tallies from five different Tigers to give them a one-goal lead at the half. After an even third quarter, the Tigers ran away with it in the fourth, scoring seven goals to Saint Marys’ one.

Husky Dan Michel had a game-high seven goals, while Duane Davis led the Tigers with four.

It was not as close of a matchup on Sept. 13, with the Tigers putting a stunning 21 total goals on the board in the victory. Jamie Dunbar was the top point and goal scorer in the game with five.

The Tigers will be expecting much of the same results next week as they hit the road for the first time of the season, taking on the Mounties on Sept. 20 followed by the UNB Buccaneers the following day. Both teams have yet to win a game this season.

Graeme Benjamin
Graeme Benjamin
Graeme is the Gazette's Sports Editor. He was the Assistant Sports Editor for Volume 145.