HomeSportsRec facilities have students in mind

Rec facilities have students in mind

Yoga
Yoga on the quad. Photo by Angela Gzowski.

Beat freshmen 15 with yoga, cycling

New to Halifax? You’re not alone. While campus life is an amazing experience, some students seem to forget there are options available outside the university.

If you’re interested in leaving your comfy dorm room, there are many opportunities for you to make new friends while exploring the city and hopefully stay in shape. Here are a few student-friendly options to evaluate:

Ever heard of hot yoga? Merge the heat of a sauna with the intensity of yoga and you have Moksha Yoga Studio, located just north of Spring Garden Road at 1512 Dresden Row. Hot yoga boasts weight loss and immune system improvement as some of its many known benefits, and is a great way to keep your stress down. The introductory rate for new clients is $40 for the first month and there is a range of discounted rates for the weeks and months that follow. No matter what, don’t forget to bring your towel.

If you brought your bike to the city, there are plenty of places to take your ride for a spin. Halifax has many bike routes and parks, such as the Public Gardens, which have picturesque views for you to enjoy (and ducks too!). There’s no better way to explore the city and meet new people than rolling around on two wheels.

But if two wheels aren’t enough for you, you can keep active by taking out your roller blades, a skateboard, or maybe even your Ripstick on some of the city’s many hills.

However, if you don’t do wheels, that’s OK, too. Head to scotiasurfer.com if you have an interest in surfing. While you can surf at several places in the Halifax area during stormy weather, or at places such as Cow Bay throughout most of the year, it’s also worth the trip to head out of the city to beaches in Lawrencetown, Summerville or Cape Breton. Nova Scotian waves can be some of the best in the Maritimes, because they often get the nasty, messy dead-ends of hurricanes.

If exams and tests are frustrating you, airsoft might be a fantastic way to relieve some built-up frustration. The novascotiaairsoft.ca website is a great way to find other players, supplies and locations to shoot the crap out of each other. Have at it.

And while the Dalplex offers a wide selection of activities, there are other options in the city. Facilities such as Goodlife Fitness, the YMCA or Curves have numerous locations in the HRM, with student memberships and first-time rates to consider.

Whatever you choose, remember to stay active while studying. Not only does all work and no play make Jack (or Jill) a dull boy (or girl), but exercise has been proven to reduce stress and prevent weight gain. Defeat the winter blues and the freshman 15 all at once, and have a great year.

Claire Wählen
Claire Wählen
Claire was News Editor of the Gazette for Volume 146. You can follow her on Twitter at @Claire_Wahlen.