HomeSportsSwimming coach retires

Swimming coach retires

120212swimmingpbalite31
David Fry, middle, retires after 30 years with Dalhousie's swimming program. Photo by Paul Balite.

David Fry, the head coach of the Dalhousie swimming team, is retiring after a 30-year run with the program.

Fry joined the team in 1981, coaching with Nigel Kemp, and spent the last 16 years as head coach.

As leader of the program, Fry led the team to 30 AUS championships and has brought countless athletes to nationals, including over 20 CIS championship podium finishes.

Fry has been named Dalhousie’s Coach of the Year four times, an AUS coach of the year on 20 occasions and was CIS Coach of the Year for the women in 2003 and the men in 2007.

In a press release, Fry says the timing was right.

“I turned 60 this year and have been coaching for 40 years. I am very proud of my 30-year involvement with Dalhousie swimming, with 16 of those years as head coach,” he says. “We have developed a tradition of excellence that I am confident will continue with the fine student-athletes that are currently on the team and those that will be here in the years to come.”

Karen Moore, the director of varsity athletics at Dal, says Fry will be hard to replace.

“David’s commitment to varsity swimming and athletics at Dalhousie has been incredibly significant over so many years,” says Moore. “He has built the program into a perennial powerhouse and his legacy will be felt for a very long time here at Dal.”

This year the swim team won the AUS championship on both the men’s and women’s side. The Tigers also finished sixth and seventh respectively at nationals.