HomeSportsHockeyTigers edge nation's second best

Tigers edge nation’s second best

Dal's Daniel Bartek holds on. Photo by Martina Marien.

A win against CIS No. 2 powerhouse UNB Varsity Reds didn’t seem likely for the Dalhousie Tigers men’s hockey team, but two goals in 17 shots were all they would need to take a shootout victory to defeat the Reds 3 – 2 at Memorial Arena on Jan. 4.

Brett Theberge’s eighth-round winner puts the Tigers right back where they started before their two weekend games: just one point behind the St. FX X-Men for the sixth and final playoff spot.

Despite giving up an early two-goal lead, the Tigers fought back. After UNB tallies from Shayne Wiebe and Luke Gallant, Dal’s Brendon MacDonald and Jordan Villeneuve-Gagne each added a power play marker.

MacDonald’s goal came with just 43 seconds left in the second period after he fired a slap shot from the point. Gagne notched things up at two early in the third.

For an extended recap of the game, check the Feb. 10 edition of the Dalhousie Gazette.

Arfa Ayub, Staff Contributor
Arfa Ayub, Staff Contributor
Originally from Lahore, Pakistan, Arfa moved to Canada at the age of nine. She spent a year in Toronto before moving to Halifax. In the East Coast, not sure how (must be a Canadian thing!), but she began to watch and love hockey. Arfa started writing for the Gazette in her last year of high school as part of a cooperative education internship. Once she graduated, she came to Dal to study Political Science. Aside from continuing to write for the paper, Arfa completed an internship with Global Maritimes.