HomeSportsHockeyTigers out-claw Huskies in hockey clash

Tigers out-claw Huskies in hockey clash

Tigers and Huskies face off. Photo by Calum Agnew

It was only a matter of time until the Tigers’ offensive domination transitioned into pucks in the back of the opposing net.

The Tigers women’s hockey team came out on top in the cross-town rivalry Jan. 29, beating the lowly Huskies 3 – 2. Dal also outshot the league-worst Huskies, too, by a tally of 35 – 19.

This was Dal’s second win in their last three games. The Tigers are now 5-3-1 at Memorial Arena this season.

Rebecca Smyth was named player of the game. She scored the Tigers’ first goal on the power play in the second to tie the game 1 – 1. Other goal scorers for the Tigers were Cassie Banfield and Sarah Robichaud.

Captain Elizabeth Matheson had a team-high three points with three helpers. Matheson felt that short passes were the key to their success.

“We were able to generate more speed and opportunities, and it allowed us to all move up the ice as a unit,” she said.

Backup goalie Zoe Zivolak got the nod for the Tigers. She performed well, stopping 20 of 22 shots for her second win of the season.

The game’s first goal came off a turnover at center ice that led to a breakaway by Saint Mary’s Jenelle Rogers. The goal was only Saint Mary’s third shot on net. The Tigers were down 1 – 0 after the first period.

The second period was a whole other story for the Tigers. They controlled the pace and put two past Huskies’ goalie Erin Doerrsam. Dal went into the third confident with a 2 – 1 lead.

The rest of the game was all Zivolak. She stayed composed in the third, only letting in one goal and making a number of key stops.

After the Tigers’ 5 – 0 loss to St. FX the night before, head coach Sean Fraser thought his team was able to successfully put the loss behind them and focus on the Huskies.

“We needed to get back to the basics,” he said. “We had to start moving our feet more.”

The Huskies’ loss extended their losing streak to 16 games. Their only win was way back on Oct. 19 against the Tigers.

The loss was bad in more ways than one for SMU. Huskies’ captain Kayla Oakley slammed hard into the boards during a race for the puck in the third period. Oakley did not return back to the match.

Dal is hoping to continue their winning ways Feb. 4 as they take on the struggling Mount Allison Mounties. The Mounties have lost their last two games and four of their last five. The last time these two teams squared off was back in November when the Mounties pulled off an 8 – 4 win.

Graeme Benjamin
Graeme Benjamin
Graeme is the Gazette's Sports Editor. He was the Assistant Sports Editor for Volume 145.