HomeSportsTigers trample Mounties

Tigers trample Mounties

The Tigers were always in control during the foggy affair. (Chris Parent photo)

Another day, another win for the Tigers at Wickwire Field.

This one, like many of the lacrosse team’s other blowouts, didn’t even seem fair. The defending champions looked like they were in a completely different league from their opponents, defeating the Mount Allison Mounties on Sept. 23 by a score of 19-2.

The win bumps the 2-1 Tigers up to second in the league, trailing the 4-0 Saint Mary’s Huskies by four points.

Coming off their first loss of the season against the Huskies a week and a half ago, the Tigers knew something had to change. “We were just way too cocky,” says team member Jamie Dunbar.

And, yes, the Tigers got the change they were looking for.

“Today we really just took it back to the basics and really tried to spread out and move the ball around to get everyone a lot of touches,” says Dunbar, who netted two goals in the win.

Leading the way for the Tigers in their dismantling of the Mounties was David Gagnier and Duane Davis with a combined 13 points. Paddy Quinn had a solid game at midfield, tallying two goals and an assist.

The fog, which made visibility across the field a challenge, may have played a factor in some of the goals but Tigers goalie Michael Cowan seemed up to the task, maintaining a shutout through the first half. Tristan Aguinaga got some playing time in the fourth quarter.

“It was tough,” he says. “Usually I like to track the ball all across the field but once it reached half you lost it and it was hard to see.”

With a 11-0 score in Dal’s favour at halftime, it was a tale of two contrasts during the break. While the Mounties huddled around their coach, there was a lighter mood on Dal’s side where the Tigers were busy cheering on the minor lacrosse players competing in front of them.

The Tigers hit the road this weekend to take on St. Francis Xavier on Sunday, Sept. 30. The last time the two teams faced off, in Dal’s home opener, the Tigers won 11-6.

Graeme Benjamin
Graeme Benjamin
Graeme is the Gazette's Sports Editor. He was the Assistant Sports Editor for Volume 145.