HomeSportsTitle rematch all Dal

Title rematch all Dal

Tigers thump Huskies 17- 8

Lacrosse. Photo by Alice Hebb.
Lacrosse. Photo by Alice Hebb.

Championship rematches are often competitive affairs between two stubborn combatants hardly surrendering an inch. This game won’t be remembered as such.

The Tigers lacrosse team walloped the reigning league champion Saint Mary’s Huskies 17 – 8 last Friday evening at Huskies Stadium in the first game between the cross-town rivals since last fall’s hard-fought title match which spoiled the Tigers dreams of a three-peat.

Dal is now 2 – 0 on the season and is the only undefeated squad in the five-team league. SMU is 1 – 1.

“Yeah, we thought it was going to be way closer. We played them a few times last year and it went to overtime I think on all three occasions, so I didn’t expect to beat them by double digits,” said Dal attacker Jamie Dunbar. “It was really unexpected and really good on our part.”

Dunbar was a part of an explosive one-two offensive punch for the Tigers. He had five tallies, while teammate Davis Duane had five more and one assist.

While the Tigers were surprised at the result, so was Huskies head coach Dominic Nolasco. He cited a lack of preparation from his team.

“To be honest, we haven’t had our full roster out to a practice yet this year. We haven’t been able to practice our systems, and if you’ve got one guy out there who doesn’t know what’s going on, the whole thing falls apart,” said Nolasco. “That’s really all it is at the end of the day.”

The score was only 6 – 3 after the first half. The Tigers had five consecutive tallies in the fourth quarter alone.

SMU became progressively frustrated as the game wore on. They were called for five unsportsmanlike penalties in comparison to only one for Dal.

“With Dal and SMU, if one of us gets frustrated the other will reap the benefits. In this case, we [profited,]” said Dunbar.

An afternoon of soccer concludes with a Saturday evening lacrosse game opposite Mount Allison. The Mounties will bring their 1-1 record to Wickwire at 6 p.m.

Ian Froese
Ian Froese
Ian was the Gazette's Editor-in-chief for Volume 146. He was the Sports Editor for Volumes 145 and 144.