HomeSportsFootballToo many penalties cost Huskies the Mitchell Bowl

Too many penalties cost Huskies the Mitchell Bowl

Armaan Ahluwalia, Sports Contributor

The Calgary Dinos are going back to the Vanier Cup for the second year in a row, having defeated the Saint Mary’s Huskies by a score of 35 – 8 in the Mitchell Bowl last weekend.

The game started off very slow; the score at half was only 8 – 0 for the Dinos. Many people felt that the Huskies would be blown out fast and early in this game. That was not the case. The Huskies started the game strong with first downs on offence and stopping the Dinos with their defence.

The game was going well until starting quarterback Micah Brown left the game due to injury. He was replaced by second year quarterback Marc Blewett. Brown returned later on in the game but the effect was limited.

Blewett’s production was minimal. He threw two interceptions in the game, both deep in Calgary’s end. Michael Lau had two interceptions on the day for the Dinos.

The Dinos offence was slow until they started going to the wildcat offence made famous by the Miami Dolphins. The Dino’s were led by Steven Lumbala who had over 100 yards rushing and one touchdown.

The Huskies lone touchdown was scored by running back Craig Leger on a throw a from Brown. It was too little too late — the fourth quarter was winding down.

Huskies fans are all too familiar with the Calgary Dinos. They played them last year in the Uteck Bowl and came up short, losing 38 – 14.

Blake Nill, head coach of the Dinos, used to be head coach of the Huskies. After leaving SMU, Nill brought Hec Creighton quarterback Eric Glavic, who helped lead the Calgary over the Huskies for the second straight year.

This now ends the Huskies season and a six-game winning streak.

A few players will make the journey to Laval for the CIS awards ceremony. Jahmeek Taylor is one of the Huskies who is up for an award. Taylor was the AUS MVP this year and is therefore nominated for the Hec Creighton award.