HomeSportsWomen’s cross-country place second, men third at St. FX Invitational.

Women’s cross-country place second, men third at St. FX Invitational.

Matt McNeil and the Tigers need to rally to beat the X-Men in the AVS championships. (Photo by Chris Parent)

Though it wasn’t a first place finish, Dalhousie’s women’s cross-country team should hold their heads high after falling just six points short of defeating the CIS eighth-ranked Laval Rouge et Or at the St. FX Invitational on Oct. 11.

The men on the other hand are going to need to make some big changes if they want to beat the X-Men at the AUS Championships.

Ellen Chappell led the way for the Tigers on the women’s side in the 6 km race with a time of 22.00, placing third overall. Britany MacArthur and Maddy Crowell followed closely behind Chappell, finishing in ninth and tenth with times of 22.32 and 22.37, respectively. Emily Clarke, Emily Ferguson and Kayte Kowal were all top 20 finishers for the Tigers.

McGill’s Jullien Flynn won the race with a time of 21.40.

On the men’s side, the Tigers finished third overall with 85 total team points. They trailed behind Laval who finished first with 27 and the X-Men who finished second with 32.

Matt McNeil was the only runner able to crack the top 10 for the Tigers in the 8 km run, finishing in ninth with a time of 25.58. Matthias Mueller finished in 13th with a time of 26.27. Jake Wing rounded out the top 20 for the Tigers in 17th.

Laval’s Charles Philibert- Thiboutot finished in first on the men’s side, completing the race in 25.17 minutes.

With that, the stage is set for the AUS Championships at Point Pleasant Park on Oct. 25. By the way the season has gone so far, it will once again be a head-to-head race between Dal and St. FX for the title.

Graeme Benjamin
Graeme Benjamin
Graeme is the Gazette's Sports Editor. He was the Assistant Sports Editor for Volume 145.