HomeSportsHockeyWomen's hockey team accused of hazing

Women’s hockey team accused of hazing

The Tigers want to keep their focus on the ice amid hazing allegations. (Chris Parent photo)

Senior players on the Dalhousie women’s hockey team have been accused of hazing by a first-year teammate.

The revelations were brought forth last Thursday by The Canadian Press, stating that the team is under full investigation by the university and that team members have signed behavioral contracts.

Charles Crosby is the spokesperson for Dal. He says a rookie team member expressed concern to the coach about the treatment of her and other first-year players at an off-campus party.

“The players in question are aware that they let down the team and let down the school,” he says. “But they are very much interested in looking forward.”

Bonnie Neuman, the school’s vice president of student services, is said to be interviewing each player on the team individually. She declined to comment on any aspect of the investigation.

It remains unclear what the penalty will be for the individuals involved if any disciplinary action is taken at all. Crosby clearly stated there will not be a team-wide suspension.

“We’re going to let the investigative process take its course and then once we have a better sense of what exactly we’re looking at then we’ll have a much firmer idea [of what to do next],” he says.

The university would like to use the restorative justice approach to the fullest extent, but individual players involved may receive different punishments.

Tom Huisman, director of operations and development at the Canadian Interuniversity Sport, said the national federation wouldn’t get involved in the hazing allegations because these are usually dealt with at an institutional level.

Practices and games will go on as scheduled while the investigation is underway. Team members were told not to comment on the allegations to the media.

Crosby hopes this doesn’t affect how the team performs as a unit for the duration of the season.

“Hopefully we can keep this off the ice and, if all goes well, we’ll be able to proceed forward and have a great season.”

This is believed to be the only hazing allegation involving the university’s athletic program in recent memory.

Graeme Benjamin
Graeme Benjamin
Graeme is the Gazette's Sports Editor. He was the Assistant Sports Editor for Volume 145.