HomeSportsSoccerWomen’s soccer split week four matchups

Women’s soccer split week four matchups

Tigers defeat Huskies, lose to Capers at home

(Photo by Alex Maxwell)
(Photo by Alex Maxwell)

After a convincing 3-0 win over the Saint Mary’s Huskies on Sept. 24 at Wickwire Field, the Tigers were once again unable to score against the Cape Breton Capers, getting shutout 1-0 the following Saturday.

Jensen Hudder paved the path for success for the Tigers against Saint Mary’s, tallying her first two goals of the year off feeds from both Patricia Murray and Sam MacDonald. Hudder, who is just in her first year of eligibility with the Tigers, sits second on the Tigers for points with five, trailing behind fifth-year midfielder Michelle Yates with six.

Three minutes after Hudder’s second goal in the 85th minute, Yates put away her third of the season, adding insult to the Huskies’ injury.

Saint Mary’s is proving to have a season to forget. They have yet to find a win this season, only tallying one point in a tie against Mount Allison Sept. 14.

With the high of Wednesday’s impressive win in their back pocket, the Tigers entered the Cape Breton game looking for redemption after getting dismantled 5-0 to the Capers the previous week. The Tigers got off to a strong start, with the first four shots of the game coming from Dal. The Capers got a few of their own, however, but both teams entered the half with no goals to show.

In the second half, the Tigers took a penalty in the box that would prove costly, as Karolyn Blain converted on the penalty kick to score her AUS leading 10th goal of the season to put the Capers up 1-0. From there, Cape Breton keeper Tiffany O’Donnell remained composed, only having to make one save off a shot from Dal’s Sam MacDonald to record her third win of the season.

The women slip to seventh in the standings with 10 points on the season. With more than half the season left to play, however, there is still plenty of time for placements to shift.

The Tigers now have to shift their focus to their next road trip, where they prepare to take on two teams at opposing ends of the AUS standings. First, they take on the Moncton Aigles Bleus (0-6-1) on Oct. 4, followed by the undefeated UNB Varsity Reds (5-0-2) the next day.

Graeme Benjamin
Graeme Benjamin
Graeme is the Gazette's Sports Editor. He was the Assistant Sports Editor for Volume 145.