HomeSportsWomen’s volleyball beats Axewomen in straight sets

Women’s volleyball beats Axewomen in straight sets

The lady Tigers swept the Acadia Axewomen off the floor in their first game of 2015.

The Tigers took the first set 25-15, and the next two consecutively 25-14 and 25-16.

There was never a moment in the game where the Tigers did not have control over the set. Their passing kept them dominant in the first, and their defence helped them stay in control for the rest of the match.

Head coach Rick Scott was pleased with the way the Tigers played.

“Our serve receive was very good overall and our attacking efficiency was as well,” he said. “Those are a couple of areas that we have been working hard with.”

First-year Mieke Dumont was named the AUS Subway player of the game and was awarded Athlete of the Week for Dalhousie for her impressive 11 kills and eight digs.

As the embodied proof of a great teammate, she owes the success of the game not to herself, but her team.

“Our team has relied upon the leadership of our older players and coaches,” said Dumont.

The season is coming to a close with the AUS championships occurring in less than a month. But Scott said the Tigers are not looking that far ahead yet.

“We are taking it one week at a time and one game at a time,” said Scott.

The team understands the importance of getting better in various areas to be successful and looking too far ahead could hinder that. Right now their serve-receive to attack and blocking will be the main focus of practice.