HomeSportsWomen's Volleyball: Tigers win Scotiabank Invitational Tournament

Women’s Volleyball: Tigers win Scotiabank Invitational Tournament

In the first taste of game action in the 2015-16 season at the Scotiabank Dalhousie Tigers Women’s Volleyball Invitational from Sept. 25-27 at the Dalplex the Tigers were able to go undefeated and win the tournament.

“I feel really good that we played well and did some really good things as a team,” said two-time AUS coach of the year and Tigers head coach Rick Scott. “I also know that there is a lot of work ahead and lots of areas that we need get better at if we’re going to be successful.”

The Tigers only dropped two sets in four matches on their way to starting the preseason 4-0 but coach Scott and his players know that the AUS will be very competitive this year.

“It’s going to be a big challenge (competing in the AUS this season),” said Scott. “There are some really good teams … there’s not a lot of room between the teams. All the teams make the playoffs this year so you want to get one of those top two spots cause there are no easy games and if you can avoid the quarterfinals I think that would be good.”

Leading the charge for the Tigers in the tournament was second year left side and CIS all-rookie team member from last season Mieke DuMont from Kamloops, BC who was the tournament MVP. Dumont was joined on the tournament all-star team by teammates fourth year Marisa Mota a libero form Kitchener, On and first year Courtney Baker a setter/outside hitter from Bridgewater, NS.

On top of being talented on the court these Tigers are humble off of it.

“I’m very proud of the accomplishment,” said Dumont and Mota (in separate interviews). “I would not have been able to do it without the support of my teammates.”

The Tigers started the tournament with a 3-0 victory on the night of Friday, Sept 25 against the Université de Moncton Aigles Bleu.

In action against the Acadia University Axewomen on the afternoon of Saturday, Sept. 26 the Tigers again won 3-0.

On that Saturday night the Tigers took the opening set against the St Mary’s University Huskies before finally dropping their first set in the Tournament. The Tigers responded and won the next two sets for a 3-1 win and a spot in the first place game.

The first place game was played on the afternoon of Sunday, Sept. 26 and pitted the Tigers against the Axewomen. The match was action packed and entertaining as the two teams battled hard for points.

The Tigers took the opening set before dropping a back and forth second set that saw seven lead changes. The third set was much like the second as neither team was able to build more than a four point lead and tremendous displays of athleticism led to long rallies and applause from the crowd. The Tigers were able to come out on top in the third and used that momentum to dominate the fourth set to win the match (3-1) and the tournament.

“It’s not where you start it’s where you finish,” said Scott. “Our goal at the end of the year is to be successful and to be champions and we know that we have a lot of work ahead.”

Next up for the Tigers women’s volleyball squad will be the regular season opener on Friday, Oct. 30 at Acadia.