HomeUncategorizedDal's men out in semis

Dal’s men out in semis

Dal's Evraire in action. Photo by Vaughan Merchant, CBU

Dal exhausts their resources in 2 – 1 loss, can’t break Panthers

The Tigers season comes to an early end in Cape Breton, although their past two games were easily their best of the season. Dal showed real teamwork and effort on the pitch in their 2 – 1 loss to the Panthers in the AUS semifinals Nov. 5.

The defeat eliminates the Tigers from the AUS playoffs. The Panthers advance to the championship game against the Saint Mary’s Huskies, a No. 6 seed which defeated the No. 1 ranked Cape Breton Capers 4 – 1 in the afternoon’s first semifinal.

The weather in Cape Breton showed its ugly colours on Saturday with the men having to play through high winds, rain, snow, sleet and hail throughout the 90 minute match.

The wind was always going to be a deciding factor in the game and Dal took advantage of it early in the first half when Julian Perrotta headed home from close. Tyler Lewars headed the ball back across the box and off a winger’s cross for Perrotta to tap home.

Ben Ur in his final AUS game. Photo by Vaughan Merchant, CBU

The Panthers stayed resilient on defence, escaping the heavy Tigers pressure with a 1 – 0 scoreline at half. The switch of wind favourability at halftime proved the difference as UPEI struck two goals in the space of seven minutes early in the half, stunning the Tigers.

Despite going behind, Dal continued to fight. They pressured the Panthers relentlessly but could not find the equalizer.

The Tigers end their season on some real positives to build off of for next year. They enter next season without Ben Ur, Wesley Hawley and Nick Persichino, officially ending their university career with a semifinal defeat.

For an extended recap of the game and the AUS playoffs, check the Nov. 11 edition of the Dalhousie Gazette.