Sunday, May 12, 2024
HomeArts & CultureNot your average brunch date

Not your average brunch date

By Samantha Chown, Staff Contributor

Five bucks got you entrance into the annual Just Friends Brunch on Oct. 23 at Gus’ Pub.  The place was packed by noon with a line-up to get some food. All the tables were filled, with people sitting on the floor and crammed into every possible space. And the crowd didn’t thin out until the kitchen started running out of ingredients.

In honour of the brunch’s tribute to Fleetwood Mac, the items on the menu were named after members of the group. For $6 you could get a Stevie waffle, which consisted of two waffles topped with fruit and swimming in maple syrup (let’s hope the syrup wasn’t left over from the bar’s maple syrup chugging contest a couple of weeks ago). Other choices included a sandwich in honour of Fleetwood, or granola with almond milk.

Laura Peek and the Winning Hearts opened the brunch at 11 a.m., followed by Hymm and Brent Randall—all leading up to the Just Friends Tribute to Fleetwood Mac. The band opened with “Don’t Stop” and continued by playing other classics such as “Go Your Own Way.”

The best part? No drunken moshers slamming into you and spilling your drink.  What better way to cure your hangover and start your day than filling up on sugar, coffee and listening to live music?  And when you get home, it’s easy to recall what bands were actually playing and how they sounded. Only complaint: the coffee could have been stronger.