Dalhousie Gazette Style Guide

The Gazette follows the Canadian Press Stylebook. Key points specific to our paper are listed in this guide, but editors should check CP Caps and Spelling for reference. We encourage all writers pursuing journalism to pick up a CP Stylebook.

This is a student paper, not a den for criminals.

Libel is a crime. Libel is any published material, whether directly stated or insinuated, that damages a person’s reputation. We will not print unnecessarily offensive content, including opinion pieces and quotes. Editors will draw the line between controversial and offensive. Truth is a defence against libel, so if we print it, it better be true.

Don’t steal.

Plagiarism means passing off someone else’s work as your own – a dishonest practice that has no place in journalism. All facts in stories must be attributed to a named source, unless that information is common knowledge, such as “Dalhousie University is in Nova Scotia.” Hyperlink your sources that come from online.

Don’t copy and paste anything into a story.

If it’s not your own work, don’t use it. Slightly re-wording sentences doesn’t count. If you’re using a quote or other information from an interview conducted by another staff member or contributor, write “With files from___” at the end of the article.

If a writer submits a story that is discovered to contain plagiarism, editors will not accept subsequent stories from that writer for publication.

So just don’t do it.

We’re in control of the stories we print.

Never allow any source to see stories before they are published. Instead, read their quotes or complicated information back to them during an interview to make sure you’ve got it right. Making third parties privy to pre-published stories undermines the independence and freedom of our newspaper

Don’t play favourites.

Never promise coverage – or worse, favourable coverage – to any individual or organization.

Don’t interview your friends. It’s impossible to be completely objective, but we need to steer clear of anything that might appear as a conflict of interest.

General editing tips

Taunted by the blinking line in a word document, blank pages turn into hours. Potential writers wither under the mounting pressure. “How on earth do I start this piece!?” they cry to the heavens, or the drop ceiling of their basement apartment, whichever is closer.

The first one or two sentences in a story are important.

Your lede should both attract attention and give readers a good idea of what they’ll be reading about. Ledes are usually the most newsworthy part of a story and only 35 words max.

Quotes and questions don’t make good ledes.

A lede needs to answer a main question of the story in a way that intrigues readers. It does not need to contain all the details.

Incorrect: City council voted to increase the maintenance budget for water mains in the HRM after the dramatic pizza corner water main rupture at pizza corner on Saturday morning.

Correct: Water bills in Halifax are going up. 

Place killer quotes high in the story.

They keep the reader involved and give a voice to your story. 

Screw “that.”

The word “that” on its own can almost always be removed and will tighten up your copy. Ctrl + F the word in your article, betcha all but one can be deleted.

Don’t use clichés!

Chances are if you’ve heard the phrase before, it’s a cliché. Clichés are b o r i n g.

Use profanity in moderation.

When necessary, we’ll print fuck and shit and the dirty like. Not f-word, *&@! or s—t. But too much swearing and we’re less like an edgy student publication and more like an annoying three-year-old who’s just learned a new word. Use good judgment.

Use an active voice.

Passive writing is dull, it’s lazy and it often leaves out information; it makes it difficult to edit back to active voice. Section editors should ask writers for any missing facts.

Incorrect: The report was written by officials in the biology department.

Correct: Mike Gray, head of Dal’s biochemistry and molecular biology department, wrote the report. 

Use only one space between sentences.

Your spacebar will thank you.

Capitalize only the first letter of the first word in a headline.

I Don’t Care If You Think It Looks Better Like This.

Show – don’t tell – your story.

Be specific: How does your story sound? Look? Feel?

In the words of CP Style, “Paint word pictures:

Not: the accused were overjoyed.

But: The accused kissed and hugged each other.”

Wordiness:

Ditch long words and superfluous wording (yes, like the word superfluous) out of your writing in favour of short, everyday language that’s both palpable and easy to understand.

Make sentences as tight as possible by getting rid of unnecessary words. Keep it to one idea per sentence; aim for about 30 words. Too many ideas in one sentence is messy.

Cut the fluff.

Then/that/which/very etc. are fluffer words and typically are used to “soften” whatever it is the writer is writing. They can be cut out. They waste word count, too.

Incorrect: Then the reporters when to a council meeting, which made it a very long day.

Correct: The reporters went to a council meeting, it was a long day.

Adverbs

“The road to hell is paved with adverbs” – Stephen King in On Writing.

In theory, adverbs are used to describe how a verb is happening. In reality, adverbs make for clunky writing. They tell instead of show. And they’re boring. Instead of modifying the verb, describe how it’s happening.

Incorrect: My cat impatiently waits to go outside.

Correct: My cat claws at the door frame waiting to get outside.

Incorrect: John sings loudly in the shower.

Correct: John screams “so call me maybe,” into his hairbrush in the shower.

Dal Gazette-specific style

Most students seek a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree, not a Bachelor’s Degree, a B.A. or a Master’s. A few of them will earn PhDs.

Write first-year, second-year, etc., with a hyphen. We write international development major instead of IDS major.

Dalhousie Student Union on first reference, or Dal Student Union on first reference if the word “Dalhousie” has already been mentioned in the story, and DSU in all subsequent references.

DSU positions

Ex. Cory Larsen, DSU vice-president (Student Life), …

or, less often, like this:

Ex. DSU VP (Internal) Alex Hughes…

No honourifics.

No Mr., Ms., Mrs., Dr., etc.  A medical doctor is referred to like this: Dr. John Doe on first reference and Doe on all subsequent references. People with PhDs are just like everybody else.

Use people’s full names on first reference.

On second reference, use only the person’s last name. The exception is if two people in a story have the same last name.

Use Dalhousie University on first reference.

Dal, the university, Dalhousie etc. are all acceptable after first reference.

Quotes

Quotes should express emotion, not relay facts. If you can paraphrase better than how they said it, don’t quote! Quotes should rarely include numbers or detailed information. And don’t set up a quote by paraphrasing it. It’s nauseatingly repetitive, and it makes the source sound like a parrot.

Incorrect: Dal spokesperson Charles Crosby said more and more students are choosing this university.

“Two years ago we had 14,000 students, last year we had 14,500, and this year we have almost 16,000,” he said. “More and more students are choosing to enroll at Dal, and we expect that trend to continue.”

(Cue disappointing buzzer sound.)

Correct: More than 1,000 new students have enrolled at Dal over the past year, said university spokesperson Charles Crosby.

“More and more students are choosing to enroll at Dal,” he said. “We expect that trend to continue.”

Always introduce the speaker when plugging a quote.

It’s more straightforward, in writing as in life. Imagine a stranger suddenly talking to you without telling you who he is. That’s weird. And, like a reader skimming across an un-introduced quote, you probably won’t pay much attention.

Ex. “There were always students raising their hands, but they just walked by and passed over, over and over again,” said Jamal St. Lewis, a fifth-year management student who was at the community meeting.

Broken up quote method.

Quotes separated at the natural punctuation mark, rather than appearing as a huge block of words with quotations around them are easier for readers to digest.

Ex. “There isn’t a simple solution to this in terms of policy,” said Florizone. “That’s exactly why we’re taking the approach we are tonight [at the community meeting.]”

Partial quote

Ex. He said the argument was “remarkably bitter.”

Paraphrase

To convey the same meaning of an idea using different words.

Pronouns

Pronouns are not “preferred.” They are a person’s gender identifier – regardless of if that person is cis or not. They/them (and any other pronouns people use!) aren’t hard to write around; they’re not confusing if you’re a good writer or have a good editor.
It’s helpful to get your source to introduce themselves using name, title and pronouns at the beginning. And if it’s a pronoun you’ve come across that you don’t understand (ie.ze, sie, hir, co, or ey) – ask them how they use it. It’s your job to get this right.

“You” have no place in a story.

Neither does “I.” Stories for all sections except opinions should always be in third-person. Don’t use generalized assumptions involving “you.” Don’t try to use “students” as a substitute for “you,” either.

Incorrect: Finding a girlfriend is hard if you’re a computer science student.

Correct: Computer scientists have a hard time finding a girlfriend.

Incorrect: Most students think Dalhousie President Tom Traves doesn’t care about them, but in last month’s Dal News, Traves was quoted as saying he does.

Correct: Dalhousie President Tom Traves said he cares about students in last month’s Dal News, but raising the price of coffee on campus indicates that he does not.

Eliminating generalizations forces writers to carefully consider what’s most important and unique to their stories.

He says, she says.

Always use “says” – or, “said” when referring to a past event and writing a hard news story.

Every other word describing speech is too opinionated. No stated, noted, admitted, explained, confessed, etc. It may seem repetitive to the writer, but readers won’t notice. And no “thoughts” – you don’t know what they thought, only what they said.

Punctuation

All punctuation goes inside quotes, like this:

“Of course everyone loves me,” Boyle says. “I have a Scottish accent and I wear kilts.”

Em dashes (–) are for special emphasis or to add extra information. If the sentence isn’t complete without the information between two em dashes, you are using it incorrectly.

Ex. She stayed up all night to finish her essay – then her computer crashed.

Semicolons (;) only make sense between two independent clauses or before a conjunction.

Ex. Tuition fees for all Nova Scotia students are currently frozen at last year’s levels; however, N.S. university tuition is the highest in the country.

If you don’t know how to use them, sprinkling semicolons into sentences won’t make you look smart.

Ellipses (… ) indicate part of a quote has been left out. Never use ellipses to indicate pauses in speech. Use them only when absolutely necessary because they can make writing look sloppy and can cause readers to wonder what information is missing. Use the broken up quote method as an alternative.

Incorrect: “The water was wet … and that’s why we stayed out of it.”

Correct: “The water was wet,” he said. “That’s why we stayed out of it.”

Use only round brackets ( ) when clarifying quotes, and do so sparingly. Just because you put brackets in to clarify a quote doesn’t mean you can add anything you want in there. Otherwise, all stories should be free of brackets (you’re not hiding anything.)

Incorrect: “We don’t want (students) to be alarmed (that the crooked administration is actually pocketing half of their tuition fees),” said Dal spokesperson Charles Crosby.

(Yes, that example was libellous.)

Correct: “We don’t want (students) to be alarmed,” said Dal spokesperson Charles Crosby.

Hyphens (-) tend to make writing clunky and hard to read. They are usually unnecessary. Any word ending in -ly doesn’t need a hyphen afterward.

Not: Dalhousie is trying to implement more environmentally friendly policies.

But: Dalhousie is trying to implement more eco-friendly policies.

From the CP style guide, hyphens are used to “write words as compounds to ease reading, to avoid ambiguity, and to join words that when used together form a separate concept.”

Ex. Three-year-old, 19-year-old, etc.

Not: Smith is a first-year student, but: Smith is in his first year.

Ex. E-mail, vice-president, etc.

Commas (,) are slippery suckers, do not use commas between two sentences that make sense on their own. Like I just did. No comma splices in quotes, either. They still count!

Incorrect: “I thought I could do it, I really did.”

Correct: “I thought I could do it. I really did.”

There is no comma after “and” in a list.

Ex. I’m taking English, math and science.

There is a comma before which, and no comma before that.

Ex. I’m taking a journalism class, which isn’t as beneficial as working at a newspaper.

Ex. I’ve taken a journalism class that wasn’t as beneficial as working at a newspaper.

Acronyms

Acronyms breed confusion and lazy writers. Writers should avoid acronyms at all costs unless those acronyms are commonly used and easily understood. Even then, they should only appear on second reference, after the mention of a full name, and should rarely, if ever, appear in a story’s lead.

Always put acronyms in brackets after the full name if you intend to use the acronym in the story.

Ex. The Dalhousie Faculty Association (DFA) is preparing to strike.

But using phrases such as “the centre” or “the association” rather than an acronym is often less confusing.

Never make up your own acronyms. Who do you think you are?

Common acronyms

• Use Dalhousie on first reference and Dal on every subsequent reference.
  • Same goes for University of King’s College and King’s.
  • Dalhousie Student Union (DSU)
  • King’s Students’ Union – note apostrophe placements! – (KSU)
  • Student Union Building (SUB)

BIPOC

It means Black, Indigenous and people of colour. It is not a substitute for minority or diversity.

Incorrect: BIPOC dancers collected themselves while pressed together in the tiny waiting room before the auditions …

(Using BIPOC like above is using the term the way your racist grandmother used the word “coloured folks” …. They are not “BIPOC folks” they’re BIPOC.)  

Correct: Black, Indigenous and writers of colour gravitated toward each other at #NASH81.

Correct: BIPOC in Halifax are tired of street checks.

Abbreviations

Provincial abbreviations are used only when they come directly after a city name. Otherwise, write the whole damn word.

Here’s the full list:

Yukon, N.W.T., Nunavut, B.C., Alta., Sask., Man., Ont., Que., Nfld., N.B., N.S., P.E.I.

Countries are abbreviated with periods, such as U.S. and U.K.

Organizations don’t get periods — the UN, NATO, WTO, etc.

Only abbreviate street names when including the full address.

Ex. 6350 Coburg Rd.

But, don’t forget! He lives on Coburg Road.

Numbers

One to nine are written in full and 10 and up are written numerically, unless the number starts a sentence.

Ex. Twenty students attended the conference.

First to ninth, but 10th and up.

Use “$” instead of “dollars.”

$1.50, not one dollar and fifty cents.

Not: The campus makeover would have cost students $25 million.

But: Dalhousie’s president proposed a multi-million-dollar construction project.

Percentages

Write three per cent, 10 per cent, 100 per cent, 6.5 per cent. Not percent or %!

Decades

I was born in the 1980s. Not 80s or 1980’s.

It’s ’70s not 70s.

Metric symbols

We use the metric system, so convert miles to kilometres (note the Canadian spelling,) etc. On second reference use cm, m, or km. The only exception is in height measurements:

Ex. Dal’s star basketball player is six-foot-three.

Dates

Weekdays

Write out the full word. We prefer exact dates rather than referring to the week or events in the recent future or recent past because the Gazette publishes bi-weekly.

Ex. The Superfantastics played at The Marquee last Saturday.

Months

Write out the full word. They’re only abbreviated when they precede a date.

Ex. The class runs from September to December.

Ex. The Superfantastics played at The Marquee Oct. 21. Not Oct. 21st!

Some months are never abbreviated. Here’s the full list:

Jan., Feb., March, April, May, June, July, Aug., Sept., Oct., Nov., and Dec.

Times

9 a.m.

9:30 p.m.

Four o’clock in the morning (use rarely)

Do not write phrases such as “9 p.m. at night.” It’s redundant, and it sounds ridiculous.

Capitalization

The word “university” is not capitalized unless it is part of a noun, such as “Dalhousie University.”

School subjects are not capitalized unless they are languages.

Ex. Dal doesn’t have a journalism program.

Ex. The French department is accepting student exchange applications.

Internet is capitalized. But website and online aren’t.

Only the first letter of the first word in a headline should be capitalized.

Titles

A person’s title is only capitalized if it comes directly before his or her name.

Ex. Previous Dalhousie President Richard Florizone …

Ex. Peter MacKinnon, the interim president of Dalhousie, …

Ex. Provost and Vice President (Academic) Teresa C. Balser said,

Or: Balser, began acting as the provost and vice president (academic) in…

Dalhousie Student Union formats:

Ex. DSU President Aaron Prosper …

But: Vice President (student life) Cory Larsen …

Or: Cory Larsen, VP (student life) …

Book, movie, albums, television shows and publication titles

Use italics.

The Canadian Press is not italicized because it is primarily a wire service and not a publication.

Ex. The Dalhousie Gazette

Ex. The Catcher in the Rye

Ex. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Song titles

Are in quotation marks.

Ex. “Notes From The Road” by Beppe Gambetta

Common Canadian spellings:

Labour, colour, honour, centre, metre, neighbour, theatre, levelled, travelled, counselled, etc.

Gazette Sports style:

Capitalizations

Capitalize names of different national championship events but if it’s just national championships then don’t capitalize it.

Ex. Final 8 or the University Cup

Game score

When writing the game score, never spell out the numbers.

Incorrect: The score was three to two.

Correct: The score was 3-2.

Gender

Different names depending on gender.

Ex. Men: defenceman/men.

Women: denfencewoman/women. Or just use defender.

Ex. Men: Acadia Axemen and StFX X-Men

Women: Acadia Axewomen and StFX X-Women.

In hockey, it’s: too many players on the ice penalty. Not “too many men.”

Jargon

Use sports terminology but not jargon.

Incorrect: Crosby skated past a bender and sniped a geno past the tendy.

Correct: Crosby skated past the defender and shot the puck past the goaltender’s blocker for the game’s first goal.

(Sniped is fine to use if it was a perfect shot.)

Measurement

Use the measurement that the sport uses.

Ex. In football, use yards instead of metres.

Possessive

When writing the Dal Tigers in a possessive, write Tigers’. To make it easier, you can also write Dal’s [insert team writing about].

Soccer

It’s soccer pitch not the soccer ‘field.’ Also, soccer has keepers, not goalies.

Team records

When naming a team record, explain how that record is written to show how the numbers work. Then you can write following records with just using the numbers.

Ex: The Dal women’s hockey team has a record of 10 wins, nine losses and one overtime loss (10-9-1) while Saint Mary’s has a record of 15-3-1.

Terminology

Don’t use abbreviations for terminology.

Ex. Write right wing instead of RW. Power play instead of PP and field goal instead of FG.

Time

You can write times like you would see them on the game clock. It’s easier to understand.

Incorrect: “three minutes and 24 seconds”

Correct: “3:24”

Same thing with race time:

Incorrect: … the swimmer lost by 8/10ths of a second.

Correct: … the swimmer lost by 0.8 seconds.

Team names

On first reference, write out the full university and team name, even if it’s a mouthful. Abbreviations/acronyms are fine on second reference, though.

Ex. Université de Moncton

Don’t be lazy and only refer to the Université de Moncton Aigles Bleus as Moncton, UdeM or University of Moncton Blue Eagles. Respect the French language and name it like it is.

U Sports

Write U Sports.

Gazette Opinions style

It is sometimes okay in opinion writing to play with the rules of grammar. The intent of an opinions piece is to talk to the person reading it. Which – in some cases – makes it okay to use punctuation, in a way that would mimic the rhythm of you speaking it, out loud. Or at a bar.

Write opinion pieces for 60 per cent of the audience. For every piece, there will be about 20 per cent of the people who will agree, no matter what. There will be 20 per cent of people who disagree no matter what. Be aware of this when writing (and reading any comments on your writing).

Every opinion has a weakness.

Acknowledging and addressing the weakness of an argument makes the piece stronger.

Take yourself out of your piece.

Unless it’s a unique experience, throwing yourself into the story too much will turn people away. If necessary to insert yourself, limit the I, me, my to three. Total. Write around it. We know it’s your opinion. It is, after all, an opinion piece.

Incorrect: I don’t have a hard time writing opinion pieces. My time management skills ensure that I can get pieces in on time at the right word count.

Correct: Opinion pieces can be hard to write. Time management is essential to get pieces in on time. Without that skill, the deadline sneaks up, and pieces are late.

Don’t single people out when trying to change their mind. Also tell people what they need to do and why, not what they should do.

Incorrect: You should follow the style guide.

Correct: Contributors need to follow the style guide.

Incorrect: You need to write your politician because Canada’s national anthem should be changed.

Correct: MPs’ phones need to be ringing off the hook. Canada’s national anthem needs to change.

Opinion pieces still need a compelling lede. It doesn’t matter how good your opinion is if people can’t get past the intro.

Ledes for this section would be well suited to play with expectation. Give a recognizable scene (aka the thing you are writing about) and then take a turn.

Turns in opinion writing are generally one of three:

• Familiar lede that makes readers feel safe, with a turn into how the common opinion is wrong.
  • Familiar argument, different framing.
  • Familiar story, new implication.

Gazette Visuals Style 

Whose photo can I take?

It’s legal to take anyone’s photo on public property. But as a general rule, ask before and after taking someone’s photo for permission to publish.

Get their name and contact information.

The Criminal Code provides for punishment of various offences, including voyeurism, trespassing at night and paparazzi behaviour

How to get photos:

For stock/reusable imagery, go to Google Images > Search Tools > Labelled for reuse

OR

visit unsplash.com and credit listed photographers!

When possible, take photos on a DSLR or with a mobile phone in good lighting.

What The Dal Gazette is looking for:

• Photos should be shot horizontally by default. Vertical photos are still usable, but less workable.
  • Write a cutline:
    • Who is in the photo, when was the photo taken and what is happening in the photo? Always credit the photographer in print and online.Finally, and most importantly? Write for your reader and not for yourself.

Editor’s notes on style and reporting

Editor’s notes

An editor’s note in a story is exactly that, a note by an editor. It usually contains a bit of contextual information or as a method of transparency in the reporting methods. It may explain why information was or wasn’t included, content warnings, to disclose the level of credibility of a source or explain the reasoning behind reportorial and/or editorial decisions – all of which have nothing to do with the storytelling of the article, otherwise, we’d just write it into the story.

Editor’s notes are usually placed at the top of the article, so the reader is aware of the note while reading the story.

Ex. Editor’s Note: Matt Stickland has been in the military for 10 years and deployed to Libya in 2011 on HMCS CHARLOTTETOWN. 

Ex. Editor’s Note: The name of the person in this story has been changed to protect her identity.

Reporting on suicide.

People do not commit suicide. This is a holdover from when suicide was considered a crime. People die by suicide or take their own life. Do not use positive terminology like, saying a “suicide was successful.”

We don’t include detailed descriptions of the method and don’t speculate on the motive. There is rarely one factor or a simple explanation.

Reporting on communities outside your own.

Don’t be lazy. Bottom line. When you’re white reporting on Black people, cis and heteronormative reporting on LGBTQ2rS+ or able-bodied and reporting on accessibility you need to reserve more time for yourself in researching your story prior to interviews and writing – and then more time thinking about the language you use when writing your story. Not just to make sure it’s interesting and captivating – but that it’s actually correct.

Diversity has become the catch-all codeword for anything that is different than what is ‘normal’ aka anything BUT white, cis-male, hetero, able-bodied or straight people. It can be useful when used as an umbrella term, but more often than not we’re talking about specific, oppressed demographics and we should be specific (which is always more accurate).

Ex. If we are talking about trans issues, write “trans” don’t just tuck it under the (technically correct, but erases specificity of trans issues) umbrella acronym LGBTQ2S+.

Minority is another lazy codeword writers and editors use when talking about specific demographics but don’t actually want to name the demographic they’re talking about. More often than not, when it’s used, it’s being used incorrectly. There are cities in Canada where ‘minority’ doesn’t equal ‘Brown people’ anymore. Brown is becoming the majority and in fact, there are estimates that the U.S. will be a white-minority population by 2050.

Just don’t use it. If you’re compelled to use “minority” think about what group you’re writing about, and then just use that term instead.

Indigenous populations

The media has time and time again broken trust with Indigenous peoples and communities. Like winning back the trust of ~all news is fake news~ people: be respectful, build relationships and get it right.

When reporting on a specific nation or community, use that specific nation and/or community name. It’s accurate and more specific and tackles the pan-Indian myth that all Indigenous peoples in Canada are the same or relatively similar.

Incorrect: Another popular Indigenous good is Black Ash Baskets …
Correct: Another popular Mi’kmaq good is Black Ash Baskets …

Useful terminology reporting on Indigenous peoples. 

Indigenous peoples: an umbrella term that encompasses all First Nations, Métis and Inuit who live in Canada.

First Nations: The First Nation can refer to membership of a First Nation,

Ex. She is a member of Eskasoni First Nation.

It can also refer to the geographical location that a First Nation is based on (though there are First Nation’s without a home-base due to the forced removal of many Indigenous peoples from their traditional territory’s),

Ex. “Nestled alongside the beautiful Bras d’Or Lake in Eastern Cape Breton Island, Eskasoni First Nation is the largest Mi’kmaq community in the world.”

It can also refer to a nation of people that encompasses multiple smaller nations within it.

Ex. There are only two First Nations in Nova Scotia: Mi’kmaq First Nation and Maliseet First Nation.

Métis: The Métis are their own nation with their own traditions, cultures, myths, language(s), geographical land ties and histories. Being Métis doesn’t mean someone is mixed with any native culture. Being of Mi’kmaq and Scottish settler heritage doesn’t make a person Metis, it makes them Mi’kmaq.

Inuit: The Inuit are geographically spread out around the circumpolar north and are a cultural group that, much like First Nations, are divided into eight smaller ethnic groups and five different dialects of Inuktitut.

Incorrect: Majority of the Inuit people live along the Arctic coastal regions of what is currently known as Canada.
Correct: Majority of the Inuit live along the Arctic coastal regions of what is currently known as Canada. 

Incorrect: Canada’s Indigenous peoples are calling on the federal government…
Correct: Indigenous peoples in Canada are challenging non-Indigenous Canadians to…

Correcting mistakes in articles.

We always own up to our mistakes when we make them and issue statements of apology when necessary. Corrections are made online, with a disclaimer line at the bottom of the article to ensure we are transparent of our corrections.

Ex.  The original story incorrectly stated that all members of the DSU voted in favour of the Canada 150 motion. We apologize for the mistake and have updated the story.

Reporting Resources

Finally, and most importantly? Write for your reader and not for yourself.

MENU