Sunday, April 28, 2024
HomeArts & CultureRococode and Halifax love each other

Rococode and Halifax love each other

Rococode kept Seahorse’s ghosts company on Sept. 4. (Melissa MacAulay photo)

Rococode’s haunting refrains are not the ghostly remains of the Canadian indie megaprojects from which the band sprang: they’re infused with a spark all their own.

The Vancouver band’s songwriters Laura Smith and Andrew Braun, of Said the Whale, augmented by Shaun Huberts and Johnny Andrews, of Tegan and Sara, offer a unique brand of eerie sound that bears little resemblance to their past endeavours. After their 2012 release Guns, Sex, & Glory, the initial boost from their past has become less and less relevant as the band carves their niche.

After their Sept. 4 performance at the Seahorse Tavern, Rococode members spoke of their journey thus far.

“It is helpful to name drop in the beginning,” Braun admitted, “but that angle is playing itself down.”

Nevertheless, most of their fans know them from former projects, which places heavy expectations on Rococode’s sound and performances.

“The expectations give us something to live up to, something to strive for, and hopefully to exceed,” said Smith.

This should not be difficult for these veterans. Rococode’s polished album and energetic shows make them a formidable act. This band is a collaboration, and with no single focus on stage the musicians exude individual charisma in an incredibly powerful live show.

Rococode’s style evolved slowly, when Braun began to sing backup vocals for Smith’s solo project a number of years ago. With undeniable vocal chemistry, Braun’s voice began to move more to the forefront, and eventually the two alternated taking the lead.

“At first we had very clear separation between ‘Andrew songs’ and ‘Laura songs,’” Smith said, “but that barrier is breaking down, which you see in ‘The Riot.’”

Fans will have to wait to hear these new tracks recorded, as the band is in the midst of an ambitious cross-country tour—its second this year. Frenetic tour experiences like this one led Huberts to publish the book How To Pack Like A Rock Star, a cheeky and enjoyable guide that involves artists such as Hayley Williams, Dan Mangan, and Dallas Green, among many more.

Despite the arduous schedule, Huberts still enjoys touring. “We love coming to the East Coast. People are so warm and friendly,” he said.

“People in Vancouver tend to stand way at the back, nodding their heads, and then tell us after that they loved the show,” he added with a bemused smile. It was certainly not the case in Halifax, and as the buzz around their debut album continues to grow, the band will leave many more enthusiastic fans with haunting licks echoing in their ears.

Rococode will take their flavourful sound to Western Canada next, accompanied by Regina’s Rah Rah and Winnipeg’s Cannon Bros.