HomeArts & CultureTunes Review: A Creature I Don't Know – Laura Marling

Tunes Review: A Creature I Don’t Know – Laura Marling

Laura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know
Laura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know

This eclectic album draws you in with its airy, acoustic sounds and the light, fluttering voice of Laura Marling. Released on Sept. 12, A Creature I Don’t Know uses very few instruments — mainly the acoustic guitar and the occasional percussion —but it’s Marling’s carefree voice that makes her music so unique and inviting. Whether it’s soft guitar playing a low, serene note, or the lively, Celtic feel, Marling proves her musical talent covers a wide spectrum.

A great element of her songs are the lyrics. Each song seems to be comprised of handpicked lyrics that not only tell a meaningful (sometimes too deep) story, but that blend within the music. Also, the fact that she writes her own lyrics adds to the fact that she truly invested a good chunk of time into this album. As you listen to each song, you are able to grow with the story she creates in her songs.

Her unique voice is also worth listening to. In this record, Marling used her wide range of pitch, tone and volume. In her song “Don’t Ask Me Why,” her voice creates a somber atmosphere as opposed to the song “All My Rage,” where her voice creates a lighter, more sarcastic atmosphere (and boy can she hit those high notes!).

If you’re looking for some new music, you should check out A Creature I Don’t Know. Whether you’re looking for quiet music as you lazily gaze outside at the changing leaves while you’re sipping on some tea, looking to listen to some deep lyrics to inspire you as you’re writing a paper (like I’m doing now), or even a good toe tapper that will spark up some highland dancing—your ears will thank you.