HomeSportsBaseball Tigers hunt for postseason

Baseball Tigers hunt for postseason

After a more than disappointing 2008 campaign, this year’s version of the Dalhousie men’s baseball team has taken to the field with a fresh outlook. A handful of veterans and a new coach combined with seven new players, including a two time national champion, has team president and starting third baseman Will Stymiest salivating.

“In recent years we’ve put together clubs that had what it took to bring home a title. This year is no different. It’s a little presumptuous to say that we’re going to win it all this early in the season but I have faith in the guys in our clubhouse,” says Stymiest.

Despite a team full of veterans and massive expectations, last year’s club fell short in the CIBA (Canadian Intercollegiate Baseball Association) to the UNB Cougars, who later repeated as National Champions. The Tigers have not won a National Championship since 1996.

Dalhousie opened the season with back-to-back double headers. They split a set with the University of Cape Breton two Saturdays ago. The following day they fell just short in a 10-9 loss to the defending National champs UNB before being rained out in the second half of the two-game series.

Despite a rough opening week, new coach Dr. Phil Mintern likes what he sees.

“I’m already impressed with our group,” he says. “Pitching and defence are the heart of any solid baseball team, and I’ve been impressed with both.”

He sees no cause for concern this early in the season, for as he puts it, “the first few games are a real ‘feeling-out’ process.”

Mintern knows what it takes to bring home a championship. He was a member of the 1996 team and believes that this year’s squad has the makings of a real contender.

“I think we are well put together to be a big player in the Atlantic Division. I can see this team gelling really quickly, and playing some very entertaining baseball leading up to the playoffs, where I hope to see big things happen.”

Stymiest knows the importance of this season. As a fourth-year student who plans to attend medical school next year, he realizes that there is not a lot of time left.

“For a lot of these guys, this is their last kick at the can and I don’t think that any of them want to leave university without being able to say that they brought home a National Championship.”

The Atlantic Conference is arguably the toughest in the country. Fan support is one of the many problems facing the Dalhousie squad. On some occasions the bleachers are completely empty.

As Coach Mintern notes, “Our guys would love to see the black and gold fans come out to support us. Knowing your school is behind you always brings out the best in an athlete.”