HomeSportsCampus Guide to Sports

Campus Guide to Sports

Dylan Matthias, Sports Editor 

Let’s get the misconceptions out of the way quickly: this is the sports section of a campus paper for a school that is not a sports school. Dalhousie does not have a varsity football team. We don’t have the superstar athletes. If you came to Dalhousie, it’s unlikely sports entertainment made your decision for you. So lower your expectations.

But you’re a new student in Halifax, and there’s this large plastic green thing in the middle of your campus. You may as well make the most of it. And while we may not have the headliner sports, there is some above average, even excellent, sport at Dal—all year. That’s why Gazette Sports exists. We guide you through it.

AUICSIS

If you want to follow university sport at all, you’ll need to learn your way around the acronyms. AUS is the league in which Dalhousie (and Saint Mary’s, our biggest cross-town rivals) play. It stands for Atlantic University Sport and encompasses schools in Newfoundland, New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia.

Its website (www.atlanticuniversitysport.com) has schedules and scores, but we at the Gazette also bring those to you without all the clicking.

CIS

CIS is Canadian Inter-University Sport, a national federation that oversees AUS, QSSF (Quebec), OUA (Ontario) and Canada West. Whenever one of our sportswriters uses the term CIS they either mean other schools across Canada or they are referring to CIS national tournaments – the big trophy tournament at the end of every season.

ACAA and CCAA

You’ll also run across ACAA and CCAA, which are the equivalent of AUS and CIS but for smaller schools, like King’s. The competition is just as fierce and the quality just as high in most games. The Gazette covers King’s sports as much as we can.

Where are the Tigers?

The Dalhousie Tigers – our varsity teams – are based in the Dalplex, along with all the fitness facilities. The Dalplex is a good spot to wander into for information, although you’ll soon discover it’s a bit of a labyrinth.

The basketball and volleyball teams both play in the field house, which can be accessed up the ramp just through the front doors. The roof is suspended by air pressure, so be prepared for ear popping.

Most exams are also written in the field house, so it’s not a bad idea to pop your head in at some point and get used to the pressure.

Atlantic Canada leads the way

Eastern Canada likes to act all neglected sometimes, but when it comes to CIS hockey, AUS is the powerhouse conference.

The benefit for Dal students is that the best university hockey teams in the country play in the uncomfortable, badly-lit Memorial Arena. University of New Brunswick have some of the best non-NHL hockey players in the country. Saint Mary’s aren’t far behind, and the Tigers-Huskies rivalry always draws out the fans.

Usually, Dal get thumped in these games – for the past eight years we’ve held one of the worst records of any hockey team, anywhere. But once in awhile – and increasingly since all-star coach Pete Belliveau joined Dalhousie – we make a game of it with the big boys.

CIS rosters are made up of CHL talent that didn’t make the NHL. The players are fast, strong, and play with intensity that often exceeds the Mooseheads. Not many people realize this, but those who go to an AUS game or two tend to be hooked for good – it’s fun stuff to watch.

The New Kids on The Block

Football is back. Expect to see a few headlines to that effect in the coming weeks.

This is a big thing for Dal. We used to have a football team in the ‘70s. Then the school cancelled it.

It’s back, although largely outside of the Athletics Department. It will exist as a sport club funded by alumni, meaning anyone can try out for it. The team will play in the Atlantic Football League with teams from UNB, UNB Saint John, Moncton, and Holland College.

It’s not AUS, but the atmosphere during the first game should be worth it. Dal will only have three home games; make sure you get to at least one of them.

A basketball city?

Halifax is something of a basketball city. The new PBL team, the Halifax Rainmen, are very successful and Halifax routinely hosts and bids for AUS and CIS basketball championships.

Both the men’s and women’s teams went through some rebuilding last year, but both are usually competitive. Games are usually fairly well-attended and close-fought. CIS basketball has an authentic feel to it, a fresh and natural excitement without the drama of the NBA.

We’re good at this one!

If you’re beginning to wonder if any Tiger teams ever win, look to the men’s and women’s soccer teams.

Dal’s best team sport is the beautiful game, and one of the fastest-growing sports in the country. CIS soccer isn’t the English Premiership – it’s not even the NCAA (though it sticks to FIFA rules without all the silly changes, thank goodness) but it’s decent quality for its amateur level. The women’s game, especially, can get quite skilful.

Both Dal’s teams are among the best in AUS, and games against Cape Breton (both men and women) are well worth coming out to.

Last year, a fan group developed to cheer on the Tigers through the season and Wickwire Field became a fun place to be.

The pool and the park

Dal has varsity swimming and track and field events. We’re especially strong in cross-country running.

Meets are few and far between, but there’s usually one or two significant AUS meets at Dal once a year. They’re worth going out to for a little change from the typical. Cross-country events are held in the beautiful Point Pleasant Park, which is worth going to any time.

Did we mention it’s free?

Dal students don’t have to pay to get into sporting events. Just flash your DalCard and you’re in. Basketball, soccer, and volleyball play double-headers: women followed by men. You can fill a rainy Saturday afternoon with sports for nothing.

Beer – that all important substance for college students – is available at most Tigers games – even Wickwire Field has a beer tent. Snacks and non-alcoholic drinks are also available, and prices are reasonable.

Dal lacks the fan culture of a Laval, or Saint Mary’s, or much of anywhere else, for that matter. We’re not a particularly wild bunch. You’ll meet people at Tigers games. The people range from sport-specific experts, to parents, to other students. If you follow a team regularly, you’ll get to know the crowd.

That last all-important plea

If you’re a sports fan, you’ll read the Gazette. We provide some of the only consistent AUS coverage in town. And we’re always looking for writers. Most of our contributors are just fans who want to share their love and knowledge of a sport with their fellow students.

We have a podcast, and we have blogs where we all discuss CIS sport. There’s lots of room to get obsessed with this and lots of people who will welcome you to the club if that happens.

University sport is curiously addictive and surprisingly entertaining. The athletes may not be professional, but they’re still worth spending an hour or two watching, and they’re also your fellow students.

The Dalhousie Tigers soccer team kicks off against Acadia at 1:30 p.m. on Sept. 11 at Wickwire Field.