Thursday, May 2, 2024
HomeSportsFitness with Furey: 2010 resolutions

Fitness with Furey: 2010 resolutions

By Chad FureySports Columnist

In the new year, many of us make the resolution to “finally start going to the gym.”  Unfortunately, simply saying you’re going to get fit is no reason to celebrate. If you genuinely want to improve your fitness, you’re actually going to have to exercise. That doesn’t mean a weekly 20-minute walk around the track, or 30 minutes of Zumba.
Take my advice if you want to get back in shape but don’t know how to start. If it sounds as if you’ve heard these suggestions before, that’s because you have; this stuff is true.

Go with a friend
Going with someone else allows you to be more comfortable in a new situation. This will improve your chances of continuing to exercise because you will keep each other motivated.

Start small
People often try to do too much too quickly. Start with simple lifts, light weights and short routines until you get comfortable with your surroundings then make things harder. Complex lifts and heavy weights may damage your body or discourage you from returning.

Make friends
Getting to know your fellow gym-goers makes working out a much more enjoyable experience. Gym members can be polite, and may be willing to share fitness knowledge with you.

Work out like you mean it
The gym is a social environment but your priority should be to work out. Don’t flirt or stop to chat during a routine. Not only does flirting waste time, it makes your workout less effective. Chat during your warm-up and during your cool down, but not during your work out. If you can converse during your workout, it’s too easy. Staying focused is the key to an effective routine.

Learn everything
Just because you can’t do something now doesn’t mean you can’t learn how to do it. Focus on continuously learning new functional exercises (exercises that apply to the real world). That will keep things interesting without getting boring.

Remember that exercising shouldn’t be a chore. Yes, it should be hard – but above all you should enjoy doing it. If you’re not feeling great about fitness, it’s not going to make you come back for more.
This column’s goals are to make being fit enjoyable, and to keep you informed on the well-known and unknown aspects of becoming an overall healthier person.

My new year’s resolution is to write a weekly column about improving your overall health. I plan to discuss fitness-oriented topics, from the minute details of proper technique to the all-encompassing importance of nutrition.  I will answer any questions students might have about fitness.