HomeSportsFour-straight titles for Dalhousie lacrosse

Four-straight titles for Dalhousie lacrosse

gazette_logo

The result was the same, but the winning feeling never gets old for Dalhousie lacrosse.

Coming off an undefeated regular season, the Tigers once again entered the Maritime University Field Lacrosse League (MUFLL) championships as the clear-cut favourite to win it all again. It didn’t help the other team’s causes that the games were held at Wickwire Field, either.

And the Tigers, once again, didn’t skip a beat. They defeated the St. FX X-Men in the finals for the second-straight year Nov. 9 by a score of 15-9 to give them their fourth consecutive title and sixth in the last seven years.

The Tigers played the X-Men on two different occasions this year, beating them by scores of 15-11 and 14-5, respectively. The X-Men are the only team that posed somewhat of a challenge for the Tigers this year. Their game on Oct. 18 was a great indication. St. FX kept pace with Dal through the first half of play and was up 11-7 late into the third quarter. But the Tigers rallied and scored eight unanswered to walk away the victory.

Nonetheless, the Tigers were able to handily defeat the X-Men the next time they faced them and again in the finals.

The Tigers advanced to the finals by dominating their cross-town rival Saint Mary’s Huskies 19-5 the day before. The last loss the Tigers have suffered was two years ago on Sept. 12 against the Huskies when they lost by a point.

Dal’s Brett McNeil and Louis Martin were handed MUFLL awards following the game. McNeil was named the defender of the year and Martin was named midfielder of the year. St. FX’s Ian McShane was named the league top scorer and MVP.

Graeme Benjamin
Graeme Benjamin
Graeme is the Gazette's Sports Editor. He was the Assistant Sports Editor for Volume 145.