Wednesday, August 14, 2024
HomeSportsFootballLaval dominates Vanier Cup

Laval dominates Vanier Cup

Armaan Ahluwalia, Staff Contributor

Defence wins championships and that point was proven at the 46th Vanier Cup at PEPS Stadium at the Université Laval.

The Rouge et Or defeated the Calgary Dinos, winning 29 – 2.

Laval started out with a bang, scoring 17 points in the first quarter and shutting out the Dinos throughout the game.  They began with two quick touchdowns on their first few drives and took control of the game from there.

The Dino’s did not manage to score any offensive points in the game, scoring only on a conceded safety by Laval in the first quarter.

Sebastien Levesque had a monster game for the Rouge et Or and was named the player of the game.  He ran the ball 30 times for 168 yards and one touchdown. The touchdown came on a 40-yard run on the first offensive drive for Laval. Levesque was also injured many times during the game, but kept coming back into the game and giving out hard hits to the defenders.

Calgary was never able to get anything going on the offensive side.  They had too many dropped catches and their star receivers were unable to handle the slippery ball.  The crowd noise and snow where the external factors which made a difference and gave Laval the upper hand over a shaky Calgary team.

Erik Glavic was never able to get anything going and had a terrible game in his final CIS appearance. Despite an amazing career, the two-time Hec Creighton trophy winner ends without a Vanier Cup.