HomeSportsBasketballOne pretty win

One pretty win

And one ugly loss

Natasha White, Staff Contributor

It’s been a wonky couple of weeks of basketball for Dal’s women.

Several things went well for Anna Stammberger’s Tigers Nov. 14 in their 79 – 59 romp over the UPEI Panthers in Charlottetown.

Anna von Maltzhan had a double-double, grabbing 11 boards and dropping 17 points. She also continued her work on defence, covering a lot of middle ground in Stammberger’s zonal defence.

Offensively, leading the Tiger charge was first year guard Courtney Thompson with a 19 point effort.

The Panthers were a sad two-for-14 from behind the arch while Dal put up good numbers, shooting 42 per cent from the floor and nailing 20 for 28 free throws. The confidence building victory earned the Tigers their first win and four points in the AUS standings.

However, the good times came to a screeching halt last Saturday night as the St. FX X-Women routed the Tigers with a 68 – 38 shellacking.

Three — not a typo — three points were all the Tigers could muster in the first quarter against an ever-pressing full court St. FX defence.

X’s constant ball pressure had the Tigers unnerved and out of rhythm early.

“They had us on our heels. When they’re playing us that tight we have to be even more aggressive, and show them if they play us like that they’re going to pay. We didn’t do that at all,” a disappointed Stammberger said. “They had us leaning back and off-balance with their pressure. Our youth really showed through tonight.”

A 28 – 13 lead for the X-Women at the outset of the second half provided the Tigers an easy out if they wanted to take it. Instead, Dal came out with a 14 to six push that put life back into the squad. Unfortunately, Tiger Tia Gerwatoski, who scored all of Dal’s first half points, only added a single point in the second. Guard Stephanie Hiltz supplied a little life for Dal, putting herself at the line and adding eight of her nine points in the third and fourth quarters.

But that wasn’t nearly enough to stop the Antigonish onslaught. Sheryl Chisholm got hot in the second half dropping 19 points on the Tiger defence. She’d go seven for 11 from the floor, adding three treys for good measure.