Sunday, April 28, 2024
HomeSportsFootballTigers football storms past PEI Hurricanes

Tigers football storms past PEI Hurricanes

By Henry Whitfield, Sports Contributor

The Dalhousie Tiger’s Football team continued to make history this past weekend, heading to PEI to face Holland College Hurricanes in a battle of the Atlantic Football League’s expansion teams.

Both teams were coming in fresh off of big wins in week one, with Holland College displaying its feisty offence in a 44-33 over Moncton Junior Mustangs, and Dalhousie showing strong defense in a 22-19 win over the UNB Fredericton Red Bombers.

It was the Tigers who came out strong in this game, storming to a 14-0 lead early in the game. The Hurricanes had no answer for the Dalhousie offence and the Tigers took a dominating 42-7 lead into the second half.

In the second, the Tigers offence fell apart and failed to keep the pressure on. Injuries started to pile up for the Tigers, and with seven of their starting defensive unit out, Holland College started to mount a comeback. The halftime deficit was too much for The Hurricanes to handle and despite putting another 33 points on the board, the Tigers held on for a thrilling 56-40 win.

Head coach Mike Tanner was excited by the play of pivot Brendan Festeryga, “He threw for six touchdowns and over 400 yards. Outstanding game for him; what more could you want from you quarterback?”

Receivers Darko Stasevic and Andrew Adamczyk had a pair of touchdowns each, while running back James Green also ran the ball into the endzone.

The defense allowed more points than they’ll be happy with but combined for six interceptions, with defensive captain Bryce Wade adding two more to his season total.
“Our offensive group obviously played well,” said Tanner, “You can’t be disappointed when they put up 56 points.”

“On the other side of the ball, it was disappointing to give up 33 points in the second half, but that was due to some guys missing on the defensive line. The injuries were nothing serious and the boys should be good to go next weekend.”

“Special teams played well but right now we don’t have a true kicker. Bryce Wade is filling in and doing an admirable job. I wouldn’t try a field goal outside of 20 yards, so it’s safe to say we’re still looking for a place kicker.”

“The team and coaching staff is truly excited. We have two wins after two games and we’re looking forward to playing the same team next week. Tonight was a wide open game and we expect nothing less the next time out,” finished the head coach.

After an entertaining and high-scoring affair, the Tigers will look for more of the same as they play host to the Holland College Hurricanes at Wickwire field in their first home opener in 34 years this Saturday.

The game promises to be a spirited one with the Hurricanes looking for revenge and the Tigers looking to continue their undefeated record.