HomeSportsTigers track and field teams bring home double AUS championships

Tigers track and field teams bring home double AUS championships

The Tigers track and field teams won AUS championships in both the men’s and women’s divisions competing in Moncton at the 2016 Subway AUS Track and Field Championships from on Feb. 27-28.

The men’s side was able to reclaim the title after StFX won last season. For the women, this is their 27th consecutive year as champions.

The women’s Tigers got off to a fast start Saturday Feb. 27, Colleen Wilson, Michaela Walker and Morgan Hawkes swept the podium in the women’s 1500m run. Shannay Beals won the 60m dash, clocking in with a time of 7.70. Fellow Tiger Shawna McKay was close behind, posting a time of 7.93.

Chantelle Robbertse won her second consecutive indoor pentathlon event, beating the AUS record she set at last year’s championship. She won both the high and long jump events on her way to victory. Tigers teammate Jessica Shannon was second in the event.

Sarah Taplin won her second consecutive triple jump AUS title, registering a leap of 11.75m, while Macayla Cullen successfully defended her high jump title with a 1.64m jump. Teammates Kate MacLatchie and Riley van den Heuvel were second and third, respectively.

The team of Walker, Hawkes Abby Llewellyn and Jenna MacDonald won the 4x800m relay with a time of 9:42.73

Photo by Normand Leger
Photo by Normand Leger

On the men’s side, Will Russell won the 1500m race after a close battle with Tigers teammate Jake Wing. Russell posted a time of 4:01.74, with Wing hot on his heals finishing in second in a time of 4:01.99.

First-year Tigers runner Matthew Coolen set a new AUS record in the 60m dash, previously set by Saint Mary’s Jayson Hilchie after his run in 2001. Coolen finished in a time of 6.82 and was followed by fellow Tiger Josh Lunda in second.

Jordan Bruce won the men’s long jump with a leap of 6.72m. Fellow Tigers Stephen Belyea, Chas Smith and Devin Errington were third through fifth, respectively.

Tigers thrower Adam Karakolis won the shot put with a throw of 15.68m, setting a new AUS record previously set by StFX’s Greg Hadley in 2007.

In the last event if the day, the team of Russell, Wing, Shiloh Johnson and Adam Manuel won the 4x800m relay in a time of 8:09.94.

Tigers athletes continued to perform at a high level on Sunday, Feb. 28.

Shannon was the first Tiger to find the top of the podium on Sunday, winning the 60m hurdles. Taplin was third, followed by Robbertse in fifth.

Four Tigers finished in the top five of the 1000m run. Michelle Reddy, Celia Peters, Walker and Llewellyn finished second through fifth in the event.

In the 4x200m relay, the team of Shannon, Sydney Smith, Shawna McKay and Sonja Gashus claimed gold, crossing the line in a time of 1:46.03.

Wilson led the Tigers in a podium sweep of the 3000m run. She crossed the line in a time of 9:51.78, with Hawkes and MacDonald placing second and third, respectively.

The Tigers claimed the top three spots in the long jump. Robbertse won the event with a jump of 5.70m. MacLatchie and Taplin claimed silver and bronze.

The Tigers continued their dominance in the relays, claiming the 4x400m event, their third of the weekend. Robbertse, Reddy, Shannon and Heather Beaton set a new AUS record of 3:58.83.

Coolen was the first men’s Tiger to win gold on Sunday, taking first place in the 60m hurdles. He set a new AUS record with a time of 8.38 seconds.

Wing won the men’s 1000m race in a time of 2:32.28. Russell was not far behind, coming in third.

Matt McNeil took gold in the 3000m race, clocking a time of 8:33.38.

It was a podium sweep for the Tigers in the triple jump with Jordan Bruce winning the event with a leap of 14.90m. Smith and Belyea were second and third respectively.

Karakolis won the weight throw with a 16.20m toss, while Errington won the high jump clearing the bar at 1.96m.

In the final event of the evening, the team of Corey Conforzi, Johnson, Manuel and Wing set a new stadium record in the 4x400m relay. They clocked in with a time of 3:28.29.

Wing was named the male track championship MVP while Coolen was named the AUS rookie of the year and track athlete of the year.

On the women’s side, Hawkes won the student-athlete community service award and Taplin was the field athlete of the year.

Head coach Rich Lehman was named both the male and female coach of the year.

The Tigers head to the CIS championships at York University March 10-12, 2016.

With files from DalTigers.ca