HomeSportsSoccerWomen's soccer owners of 3 - 1 record

Women’s soccer owners of 3 – 1 record

Tigers locked in three-way tie for AUS lead 

Women's Soccer Sept. 11, 2011- photo by Martina Marien

Dalhousie’s women’s soccer team travelled to New Brunswick last weekend to take on Moncton and UNB. They came riding the momentum they produced a week earlier when they ended their two-game home swing with a strong 4 – 0 performance against Mount Allison.

In Saturday’s contest, Dal emerged victorious, winning 1 – 0. For the second straight game, the Tigers managed to keep the opposition off the scoreboard and earn the shutout.

Dal was unable to capitalize on any scoring chances until the second half. In the 65th minute Emma Landry scored the lone Tigers goal.

On Sunday Dal travelled to the other side of New Brunswick to take on the UNB Varsity Reds. Seeing no reason to slow down in their bid for an AUS playoff spot, the Tigers rolled over UNB 4 – 0 in a commanding effort.

Dal’s offence has proven to be a force to be reckoned with, scoring early and often. Doriana Homerski netted the first goal in only the second minute of play, to which Tigers captain Rieka Santilli is credited the assist. In the 43rd minute, keeping with a theme of the season, Anna McKilligan scored as the first half was drawing to a close. McKilligan’s goal was assisted by Biannca Jakisa, who returned to action after missing the Mounties game due to injury.

Late in the second half the Tigers added to the scoreline. Santilli picked up her second goal of the season, scoring in the 81st minute. Joanna Blodgett capped the match at 4 – 0 in the final minute. Santilli’s goal was assisted by Joanna Blodgett, whereas the final marker was unassisted.

Dal keeper Taryn McKenna left the field Sunday with her third straight shutout. She has only allowed two goals this season in four games.

The Tigers sit atop the AUS standings with a 3 – 1 record and nine points, tying them with UPEI and CBU. The black and gold, however, have also played one more game than both teams, and Cape Breton and UPEI are still undefeated—with no goals against.

The Tigers will host Cape Breton Saturday at 1 p.m., where both teams will look for the win to pull ahead in the standings. Dalhousie and Cape Breton also lead the league in goals with ten apiece.

Andrew Johnson, Staff Contributor
Andrew Johnson, Staff Contributor
Hailing from Saint John, Andrew followed his frosh leader to a Gazette contributor's meeting in his first week at Dalhousie and didn't look back. He took on the women's soccer beat, attending games at Wickwire no matter the weather and watching the webcast whenever the Tigers were on a different pitch. He does not claim any responsibility for the Tigers winning the league championship during his first season covering the team.